banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Modded Marshall you ever heard/played ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Modded Marshall you ever heard/played ?

So many builders these days.

Whats the best you heard/played ?

Re: Best Modded Marshall you ever heard/played ?

One of the Lee Jackson modded 800's that Daymon Johnson had when he was playing with Brother Cain. That particular amp was just a freeking tone MACHINE!! Had a shot at buying it from him and now wish I would have bought that amp!!
    Was the amp on this session
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-27-2017, 08:39 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Ayrton's friedman-modded marshalls BE/HBE (he had a red tolex head and an orange one, not sure which had which mods but both were killer).

As far as just heard - I don't know what they did to Gary Holt's (Exodus) Marshall to make it sound as it does, but his rhythm tone was always so gnarly.
      Last edited by DankStar; 08-27-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

I played an MG15 that had an Ernie Ball sticker on the side. The amp was sick.

Comment

Why, my own modded c.1996 JTM45RI, of course.

Bought used in 2003 stock for $650. Sounded like complete ass (the older Marshall RIs were a joke).

I slapped a turret board in there with the correct mid-60's values, correct mid-60's filtering, Mercury Mags OT, Mullard pre's, Valve Arts KT66s, etc...

Night and day difference.

Then last year I changed the tone stack, NFB resistor, tap, EHX 6CA7s, etc... to be more like a Superlead instead of a JTM45.

Paired with a Celestion Alnico Gold. Variac'd to 100v.

Goes from clean to mean with a twist of the guitar volume knob:

Last edited by LLL; 08-27-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9166.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	5801360This one.

Comment

my CCV. I'm never ever selling it.
              18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

I was gonna say a Friedman is the best modded Marshall I've heard (partial to the Dirty Shirley, or for more gain, the BE).
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wallace BKW45

Comment

Best Ive ever owned? Well, if I can count my Splawn QR...?? I did have a JCM800 that I bought from a forum bro that had a modded gain knob to where the last part of the sweep sounded more like a driven Jube...

Best Ive heard? Well, that would be EVH's, and the one Slash/Lynch used.. (SIR#34?)
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Best I've played...my 2204. It's only been modded with an additional vol/gain so it's not hot rodded. But step on an OD and ooooh baby!

Best I've heard? See Bloodrose above
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

The best I've played/heard in person: My own work, and I've seen many Marshalls modded by the top dogs come through my shop.

The best I've heard on a recording: Too many to list!

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                        As far as just heard - I don't know what they did to Gary Holt's (Exodus) Marshall to make it sound as it does, but his rhythm tone was It always so gnarly.
                        One of his was modded by Todd Langner from ADA in the late 80's early 90's when Todd was still modding amps. Todds 5 stage circuit sounds pretty good, but quite honestly its a little dated nowadays and it has the potential to be a little unstable and noisy, plus most 4 stagers will produce the same amount if not more distorted goodness with out the noise potential that's inherent in the design. I reproduced it once a few years ago and had to build an internal noise gate to get it quiet enough for studio use.
                        Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        and the one Slash/Lynch used.. (SIR#34?)
                        They both used 34 in rehearsals, but slash used 36 on the AFD recording because 34 was on loan at the time by lynch I believe for the BFTA sessions. Certainly sounds like it on that album. Slash owns #36
                        Last edited by Joey Voltage; 08-28-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

At the moment its the Dookie SE mod used by Green Day's guitarists.

Comment

Has anyone been able to document some of these epic Marshall mods?

For example, as listed above isn't the SIR mod used on albums by Slash, Lynch and another high profile 80's player?
                            Wasn't the Dookie amp used on Dookie, Smash and Out Come the Wolves or some similar trifecta of 90's pop punk?
                            You'll never know the truth with Van Halen, but were the first two albums cut with a relatively stock Plexi or were there some mods to get there?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              Has anyone been able to document some of these epic Marshall mods?
                              You'll never know the truth with Van Halen, but were the first two albums cut with a relatively stock Plexi or were there some mods to get there?
                              Mike Soldano has looked that amp over and has confirmed it is bone stock.
                              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X