Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cab upgrade

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
    Does anyone know where the Orange V30 speakers are made?

Yeah I find if playing in bands with loud drummers/drop tunings and stuff I wanna cut through. Does the Mesa oversized kick out the mids a bit?
    AFAIK, China.

Either way, the V30's on Mesa cabs sound different not just because they're made in England, but because they're a slightly tweaked design.

FWIW, Marshall 1960V's come with UK-made Vintage 30's, yet they sound nothing like Mesa cabs. They too have their own variation of V30's.

Comment

Zilla super fatboy 2x12 is a tight sounding oversized 2x12 that has a 4x12 thump without sounding flubby, when you call Paul at Zilla he will ask you what you play, what you like and what you are looking for and he will give you all the options you could want.
      Tolex and grill choice
      Speaker config
      And the cab dimensions
      They also make 4x12 if that's your bag but I think the super fatboy is great value and sounds huge
      Guitars:
      Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
      PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
      ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
      Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
      Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
      Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
      Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
      Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
      Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
        Zilla super fatboy 2x12 is a tight sounding oversized 2x12 that has a 4x12 thump without sounding flubby, when you call Paul at Zilla he will ask you what you play, what you like and what you are looking for and he will give you all the options you could want.
        Tolex and grill choice
        Speaker config
        And the cab dimensions
        They also make 4x12 if that's your bag but I think the super fatboy is great value and sounds huge
        I got one over engl,orange and mesa 2x12 and I don't regret it however I've never needed a 4x12 due to the excessive weight and size
        Guitars:
        Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
        PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
        ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
        Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
        Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
        Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
        Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
        Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
        Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
          G12T-75 = BLARG!!!

Pull those out of the cab and match those V30s with a couple of WGS ET65s or a couple of G12M Creambacks.

The G12T-75 is scooped and has too much bottom end. There's the farty tone issue you have.
          Haha yeah took me a few years to recognise it, but some of is attributed to the lightness of the wood which doesnt help. I always wondered why Mesa and Orange cabs were so heavy and now I know why! I prefer V30s if I'm honest that's what gets on well with my 6505+

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            AFAIK, China.

Either way, the V30's on Mesa cabs sound different not just because they're made in England, but because they're a slightly tweaked design.

FWIW, Marshall 1960V's come with UK-made Vintage 30's, yet they sound nothing like Mesa cabs. They too have their own variation of V30's.
            Hmm well I been seeing mixed reviews on them some say they're not as good as UK built ones whilst others say they're better!

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
              Tolex and grill choice
              Speaker config
              And the cab dimensions
              Not overly sold on Zilla I'm not sure what wood they use and how heavy they will be as that will affect the low end.

Plus I kinda need a right here right now cab I think with custom orders it'll take a while.

Comment

Haha yeah took me a few years to recognise it, but some of is attributed to the lightness of the wood which doesnt help. I always wondered why Mesa and Orange cabs were so heavy and now I know why! I prefer V30s if I'm honest that's what gets on well with my 6505+
                Marshall 1960 cabs are 13-ply birch plywood. That's not lightweight and I'm pretty sure that's what Mesa and Orange use. Weight-wise I'd look at speaker magnets. I know that the V30s use the 50oz H magnets. I think the T75s use a smaller magnet.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                Nope...

Comment

Hmm well I been seeing mixed reviews on them some say they're not as good as UK built ones whilst others say they're better!
                  It's just a slight shift in the mid-hump's center. Neither is better in general, but you might well prefer one or the other for a specific amp/rig/cab.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                    Marshall 1960 cabs are 13-ply birch plywood. That's not lightweight and I'm pretty sure that's what Mesa and Orange use. Weight-wise I'd look at speaker magnets. I know that the V30s use the 50oz H magnets. I think the T75s use a smaller magnet.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                    That's right it's mostly the speakers that make the weight difference. (v30 vs t75 times 4)
                    1960bv is 90LBS
                    mesa traditional straight cab is 101LBS,,,,,,,,,,,,,but those big steel plates on the bottom for the caster system accounts for most of the 10 pound difference.

Comment

I would think the Marine Baltic birch ply in the Mesa is a bit heavier than the standard hardware store ply used in the 1960. The extra ply for the mesa back panel would also factor in, versus the mdf back on the 1960.
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                        It's just a slight shift in the mid-hump's center. Neither is better in general, but you might well prefer one or the other for a specific amp/rig/cab.
                        Possibly, a mate of mine wants a Zilla 4x12 so if he gets one I'll play my head through that and decide for myself haha.

Comment

Mess uses 3/4" and Marshall uses 5/8".

As far as other things go, I used to have a set of Chinese V30s and own 10 Brit V30s. The Chinese V30s we're basically a smoother version of their British counterparts. Me, personally, I would recommend trying Eminence Legend V12s. in that Marshall. I have a 1960b with V12 and Eminence Soldano (basically a darker V12) speakers. It cuts like a hot knife through butter and the bass is tiiiiiight. I can crank up the bass with any of my amps through that cab and it doesn't fart out, and the top end isn't piercing like a Celestion V30 can get and like a G12T75 is. I'm probably also going to try my pair of Texas Heats in there in place of the Soldanos to make it a little more throaty.
                          Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 09-05-2017, 01:28 PM.
                          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                            Mess uses 3/4" and Marshall uses 5/8".

As far as other things go, I used to have a set of Chinese V30s and own 10 Brit V30s. The Chinese V30s we're basically a smoother version of their British counterparts. Me, personally, I would recommend trying Eminence Legend V12s. in that Marshall. I have a 1960b with V12 and Eminence Soldano (basically a darker V12) speakers. It cuts like butter and the bass is tiiiiiight. I can crank up the bass with any of my amps through that can and it doesn't fart out, and the top end isn't piercing like a Celestion V30 can get and like a G12T75 is. I'm probably also going to try my pair of Texas Heats in there in place of the Soldanos to make it a little more throaty.
                            I think I'm still going to keep the Marshall 4x12 but not use it live. So there is a possibility I could experiment with different speakers in there.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                                I would think the Marine Baltic birch ply in the Mesa is a bit heavier than the standard hardware store ply used in the 1960. The extra ply for the mesa back panel would also factor in, versus the mdf back on the 1960.
                                True.

Also the mesa pulls-off that weight with .625" ply vs most other brand's .750" ply,,,,,,,,,,,,so I'd agree the marine-grade birch must be a bit heavier on a cubic-inch basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X