Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerStage 700 - Bridge Mono?

Greetings,

Can't seem to find anywhere in the manual about running the PowerStage 700 in bridged mono mode, or if that's even possible.

Be a shame if you can't. Sometimes the venue only has one cabinet, or maybe that's all that's needed if it's a small club.

I already have a (mono) PowerStage 170 (which is amazing, I'm loving it!), but it would nice to have that kind of diversity of Mono/Stereo in PowerStage 700.

Thanks.

Re: PowerStage 700 - Bridge Mono?

welcome to the forum!

i do not believe you can bridge the ps700

Comment

Would you seriously ever need 1400 watts, though? The PowerStage channels are 700 watt each, and leaving one of them unplugged is not a problem with solid state.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
        Would you seriously ever need 1400 watts, though? The PowerStage channels are 700 watt each, and leaving one of them unplugged is not a problem with solid state.
        That wasn't the point, it more about load balance. It maybe safer being solid state, but it's never a good idea to run an amp with no load on a channel. As mentioned, another cabinet may not always be available. I've repaired enough solid state amps through the years... they do blow out with no load.

If a channel on the PowerStage is "not" active when "not" plugged in, that would be a better design. As that may be, but it would be nice to hear an official word on that.

As mentioned, wasn't about needing 1400 watts. Besides, it does have a volume knob. No one say's you have to turn it all the way up. Headroom is always nice, ever if it is a ridiculous amount.

Comment

Honestly, I have never read or seen anywhere that it can be bridged, just that it is 2 discreet sides. Unless there is a trick I don't know, my guess is nope.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've asked about this with engineering in the past and, as I understand it, there is no way to bridge the output. But they assured me that you won't damage the amp by running it with only one output connected - we've had one in the office that we've been using daily, since well before the product launched, in this configuration with no issues. If I get a chance I'll follow up with engineering soon and see if there is any more relevant info!

Comment

Originally posted by Riley View Post
              I've asked about this with engineering in the past and, as I understand it, there is no way to bridge the output. But they assured me that you won't damage the amp by running it with only one output connected - we've had one in the office that we've been using daily, since well before the product launched, in this configuration with no issues. If I get a chance I'll follow up with engineering soon and see if there is any more relevant info!
              Hi Riley,

Thank for clearly understanding my concern, and sharing the provided information (and your experience with the product). That's great encouraging news to hear, and defiantly peaked my interest for making a purchase. I'd be curious to hear any follow-up should you hear anything.

Their marketing team should do a better job disclosing this type of information as it would possible influence potential buyer's if the product offers that kind of diversitivity.

Thanks again!

Comment

If you are really worried about it, make sure there is nothing plugged into the inactive channel, if there is nothing to amplify, its not trying to output anything. A tube amp is fine with no load if nothing is plugged into the input, it's when it tries to amplify something that it fries the tranny.

Comment

Working...
                X