Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cost-effective Rectifier?

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    What flavors would those be? Horizontal and vertical slant? My 1960A has two Mesa Vintage 30’s in an X-pattern with two G12-T75’s. I can run either kind of speaker isolated, or both.
    All 4 of the Mesa cabs have the stock V30s. The 1960a has G12T75s, the one next to the 1960a is an old pinstripe Marshall that is loaded with old '70s square magnet Eminence speakers out of an old Orange cab, the Splawn has Eminence Governor and Man 'O War speakers, the 1960b is an old basket weave loaded with Eminence Soldano and Legend V12s, and the Avatar is loaded with Eminence Texas Heats and Swamp Thangs. Also, behind the 1960a is a homebuilt 1x15.

Those Recto 2x12s sound bigger than they really are. And the reason I use a pair with my Helix is so that I can separate the cabs. Sure, going stereo with a single 4x12 works, but a stereo rig sounds better when you can get those signals separated a bit more. And I could and do sometimes run 2 4x12s, but it's overkill, and much more deafening. Plus the 2x12s are lighter, and easier to lug around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1506739758119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	5801725

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170929_215055613_BURST005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	5801726
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
      Soldanos drive me nuts.
      20 knobs for 3 channels for a head I'm just gona chugga chugga on drives me crazy.

Then again my living room rig is a 69 Bassman, an Orange OR80 and a Matamp Classic 120 which... which is 18 knobs split between three separate heads that i have to unplug then plug back in when i want to change sounds which are effectively a clean, crunch, or higain sound...

Hm. Guess there are a few ways to solve this problem.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Drives me crazy when guys start WHINING..."Mesas are too complicated, too many knobs!"

Typically, he has 47 pedals on his pedalboard.

And the last guy that told me this...writes code for Microsoft.

Oh yeah...too complicated...

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
          Drives me crazy when guys start WHINING..."Mesas are too complicated, too many knobs!"

Typically, he has 47 pedals on his pedalboard.

And the last guy that told me this...writes code for Microsoft.

Oh yeah...too complicated...

Bill
          You totally called me out on this and i don't necessarily disagree, but i also kind of have a rebuttal.

I use my different amps and pedals for different sounds and projects. There's a lot of crossover and overlap, but i also have my 'rock' amps and pedals, 'blues' amp and pedals, and 'metal' amps and pedals. I could do a big multichannel head with a monster do it all pedalboard, but i don't play metal songs at my blues jams so why bring all the stuff?

Not to mention: your buddy's JOB was complex code... his RECREATIONAL HOBBY was playing guitar and if he's doing that to escape he probably wants to keep it simple. My JOB is to find highly effective tools to help musicians find their sound... but my HOBBY is finding certain specific vintage amps and matching them with boutique fuzzes because that's what inspires me to write more music.

There's no right way besides the way you prefer.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Actually, not calling you out personally. Please accept my apologies. It's a common complaint I hear often. Agreed with your post.

But I know that some guys are intimidated by the technology before they even start. I don't let stuff like that beat me.

(And I'm venting...GF went on a rant because she couldn't figure out how to program a clock radio alarm...

...apparently it's all my fault...????)

:[

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Mesa's "bells and whistles" are just in the amp-setup. Once you've picked your amp then it's a basic gain-treb-mid-bass-presence tone-stack. (rectifiers)
              Mk-series has the extra EQ between the pre and power, but aside from that it's the same ballgame.

Comment

Rectifiers can be hard to dial in...but that's due to the active eq, which a lot people forget about. Adjustment of one dial greatly affects the other dials, and a high treble setting actually introduce more gain to the preamp. Combine that with the presence dial, modes/switches and rectifier switch on the back and you got a lot of tones in that box. My problem was that I was just forever tweaking it and turning dials.
                Nevermind the tube swaps and speaker/cab experimenting as well.
                Last edited by Van Noord; 09-30-2017, 12:04 PM.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I do kinda miss my old silver tolex Series II SINGLE though....

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                    Rectifiers can be hard to dial in...but that's due to the active eq, which a lot people forget about.
                    From my understanding (or maybe misunderstanding) the rectifiers don't have any active EQs, they're just attenuators along the signal-path.

Comment

Yes, this.

Unlike many other amps, Mesa's tone controls actually work, but they are not "active".

The 5-band EQ is, however.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X