banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the Splawn players (or anyone, really)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Splawn players (or anyone, really)

I've owned a Splawn Quickrod for about a year and a half now. It's fully loaded with the B+, mid and old/new switches. It's a gorgeous amp. And it's a beast of an amp as well. My issue is that I keep going through these love/hate phases with it.
    There are times when I can't imagine a better tone coming from an amp and other times when I'm not at all digging what I hear.
    Seems when I'm not liking the amp there is this high end, almost brittleness to it. It just doesn't sound as warm as it should.
    I'm playing a Les Paul with a Super Distortion bridge and a PAF 36th Anny in the neck....it's not the pickups. They sound amazing through the Blackstar and the 2204.
    It has the original power tubes biased correctly and I've swapped the preamp tubes.
    IIRC:
    V1(clean)-Chinese 12ax7 (stock)
    V2/3(gain stages) P.M. Tubes brand , which is basically a screened Chinese tube.
    V4: (PI) Sovtek LPS.
    I don't believe the tubes are causing this.
    What I'm not understanding is how one day I love it and the next I'm indifferent.
    Does anyone that plays a Splawn experience this at all?
    Tell me about your gear setup...amp settings....pedalboard layout?
    Believe me, I want to LOVE this amp....help me to do that!!

Re: Question for the Splawn players (or anyone, really)

Some days are just like that. There may be technical stuff going on like total power draw humidity in the air who knows. My favorite guitars the odd time feel wrong the amp sometimes sounds off and no amount off dial twistin can seem to fix things. I just walk away come back later and it always sorts itself out.

Comment

I'm also wondering if possibly my signal chain may not be optimal? Just added an RC booster. It sounds perfect on the clean channel. I had been using the BB Preamp comp as a clean boost and I was loving what that did to the OD but I hated to not be able to use it a stand alone OD pedal because it sounds so good! I thought the RC could take its place....maybe not?

Comment

If you're at home a box of beer fixes the problem. If you're at a gig try to start later,let the audience do the drinking

Comment

I can't speak of the affects of effects ( did I I get that right, or is it the effects of effects ) I don't use them, just me guitar and amp. I used some pedals long ago but found there just always seemed to be carryover into the signal.

Comment

Sorry my advice probably not the best, it's early. Stick around somebody around here will probably will have better answers.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
              I can't speak of the affects of effects ( did I I get that right, or is it the effects of effects ) I don't use them, just me guitar and amp. I used some pedals long ago but found there just always seemed to be carryover into the signal.
              I think that's what pedals are supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                Willy I taught day wiz yous ta stone me bat tries

Comment

Carryover when set to the I don't want that noise position

Comment

Cute though you got a smile outta me

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                      Cute though you got a smile outta me
                      That's what I was going for.

I'll be here all week. :-)

Comment

That's what I was going for.

I'll be here all week. :-)
                        Cool now let us return this thread to the poor soul who's actually in need of advice

Comment

I have a Pro Mod, which is an older model that is no longer made, but is just a Quick Rod with the KT88 option. I run a Tung-Sol RI in V1, a Mullard RI in V2 and JJs in the rest of the preamp/phase inverter holes. I like it. I have noticed that it does sound best if you don't stray too far away from noon, especially the presence knob. It'll get downright shrill if you get too happy with it.

I don't like Chinese tubes in gain stages. My JVM came with them stock. I still have one or two in it in buffer stages, but that's about it. My Splawn was full of JJs when I got it. I don't like them for gain stages because I find them too dark and a little muddy. But some folks like them because of the subdued highs, so you might try them. I do, however, love them for buffer tubes and they make an amp growl a little more when used in the Phase Inverter hole. The reason I like the Mullard RI is because it isn't as sharp in the high as the Tung-Sol RI, but still seems to be as articulate in the mids.
                          Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 10-02-2017, 11:39 AM.
                          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                            I have a Pro Mod, which is an older model that is no longer made, but is just a Quick Rod with the KT88 option. I run a Tung-Sol RI in V1, a Mullard RI in V2 and JJs in the rest of the preamp/phase inverter holes. I like it. I have noticed that it does sound best if you don't stray too far away from noon, especially the presence knob. It'll get downright shrill if you get too happy with it.

I don't like Chinese tubes in gain stages. My JVM came with them stock. I still have one or two in it in buffer stages, but that's about it. My Splawn was full of JJs when I got it. I don't like them for gain stages because I find them too dark and a little muddy. But some folks like them because of the subdued highs, so you might try them. I do, however, love them for buffer tubes and they make an amp growl a little more when used in the Phase Inverter hole. The reason I like the Mullard RI is because it isn't as sharp in the high as the Tung-Sol RI, but still seems to be as articulate in the mids.
                            You know, the only tubes I don't have on hand is the Mullard RI. I did try a JJ in the past...maybe I'll try it again. It is a darker tube and maybe it's exactly what I need.
                            I tried the Tung-sol too, but also found it a bit much in the high end. It might work in V1 though.
                            I think I'll order a Mullard and try that too.
                            I have some NOS Mullards but I remember not liking them in this amp. They kill in my Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post

So I just went downstairs and did a little tube rolling...
                              I put a JJ in V2 and I immediately loved it. Nice and smooth yet aggressive.
                              Next I tried a JJ in the PI. Although it sounded good and I liked it, I felt like the Sovtek LPS actually was a little better. So it went back in.
                              I left the P.M. Tubes in V3. Once I swapped in the JJ in V2, I thought it sounded really good as is so I didn't want to over think it.
                              I went back and forth with V1. I tried a TAD, an EH, JJ and the Tung-sol. I couldn't decide between the JJ and the TS. The TS had really nice clarity and high end but I felt that it somehow affected the OD channel by brightening it up in a way I wasn't digging. I ended up with the JJ for now.
                              Thanks for some good advise. As of right now I'm really liking how it is sounding!!

Comment

Working...
                              X