EVH cab, too little wattage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH cab, too little wattage?

Would an evh 5150 iii 4x12 cab be sufficient with a Peavey 6505 head? Cab rated at 100w, and 6505 at 120w.
    Guitars:
    2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
    Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
    Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Re: EVH cab, too little wattage?

Yes.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Yes, as you would probably never need to turn it up that loud. For many people, using more inefficient speakers is a big part of their sound. I wouldn't use the head through a single 35 watt speaker, but here, you should be fine.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Appreciated. That's what I thought. Thinking of adding a 4x12 to the mix as I've never had 1. Plan on using it with my evh 50w but may finally break down and buy a larger watt head and was thinking of the 6505 or 1 of the evh offerings. Leaning towards the 6505 for the "classic" thunderous metal tone but also cuz it would be cheaper.
        Guitars:
        2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
        Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
        Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Originally posted by Jigsisme View Post
          Would an evh 5150 iii 4x12 cab be sufficient with a Peavey 6505 head? Cab rated at 100w, and 6505 at 120w.
          Yeah, the G12EVH is a relabeled G12M Heritage which is rated at 25W. Given that the EVH is sold for less, it's a great deal. It'll get killed by your 6505 if you accidentally hit the volume knob.
          Nope...

Comment

I don't think you'll have any problem with that head and cabinet handling the wattage. The speaker type and lower wattage will affect the tone though, and whether you like Greenback type speakers is a much more important question.

Comment

I would never, ever risk my speakers and my output transformer with a mismatch like that. If you're not going to crank your 120w amp, stick to your 50w head. If you're going to crank your 120w head, get a 200w cab or more. Wattage isn't constant and fluctuates during play. Push things too hard and your speakers will burn up and your transformers will fry. Buy and use the right equipment or start saving for replacements now.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

In solid state land, these things are far more common. This is borderline in my opinion, but I'd say you should be safe as long as you are careful and don't crank it. If you will be doing it over a longer period, something like this might be worth looking into:

I'll be getting one of these one of these days.
                Last edited by Sirion; 10-02-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Unless you play it constantly wide open for hours at a time (can't imagine anyone doing that) it should be fine unless the quality of speakers has gone to total crap in the last few years. It used to be regular practice to run cranked Marshall Superleads into a 4-12 cabinet with 4 25W Greenbacks in it.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Unless you play it constantly wide open for hours at a time (can't imagine anyone doing that) it should be fine unless the quality of speakers has gone to total crap in the last few years. It used to be regular practice to run cranked Marshall Superleads into a 4-12 cabinet with 4 25W Greenbacks in it.
                    100 watts into a single cab if you want to kill speakers.

An A cab and a B cab is usually what those cranking 1959s would run. A 1987 won't kill a single cab.
                    Nope...

Comment

Working...
                    X