New toys, same but not the same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toys, same but not the same

Upon reaching out to you guys and researching, I went and bought another amp and cab this past week. Both used and in excellent condition. Peavey 6505 (never had 1 or played on 1 for more than 5 mins) and a EVH 4x12. Do I need another high gain setup, no...but I did it any way.

Ordered them from GC, used, and got them within 4 days. I figured with their return policy, can't go wrong. So I get them home, setup side by side with the evh and orange DT. Dry at first because I want to see what the true character of the 6505 is.
    I immediately notice that wattage difference...should've gotten 1 sooner! I cop my usual classic/hard/metal tones first. Passed that test...To my disbelief, the 6505 is NOT a 1 trick pony! I read numerous times that it doesn't do cleans but I beg to differ. Is it a sought after, pristine clean...if you take your time and turn the knobs, it can. I actually like the clean channel, as it acts and reacts the way I want it to.

Next came the crunch switch (rhythm channel)...this is where I really think this amp shines!! Overdriven blues to a T. The gain knob is really useful and each adjustment opens up a ton of tones and is like a buffet of any/all rock styles. I really enjoyed that when set to my liking, I can basically play on this channel alone and get clean-to-metal just with my guitar volume knob and vary pick attacks!

High gain channel, yes everyone knows what it does. A very "metal" amp!! All heavy metal tones are in here. I did discover something unexpected on this channel...fuzz (in a good way)! If you know what you are doing, you can set this channel to have a fuzz pedal tone that is great for sounds that remind me of a lot of the fuzz from 60's and 70's.

A/B'ing with my other heads...yes they can "copy" each other but they also have their own palette that is enough to warrant their worth, to my ears. I really enjoyed running the 6505 with the 5150iii together! I messed with this setup for a few hours and was smiling ear to ear!! Just ran an aby switch to play individual and in stereo.

Keep in mind, initial playing was done at just above "conversation" volumes. It just got better when pushing the volume! Got both amps volumes up around 10 o'clock and it was earth shaking yet still kept the note articulation/separation that forced me to play better...isn't that a good thing? I know this is the honeymoon phase but I think the 6505 will be staying!

As for the 4x12...awesome addition to the stable!!! Today I will be hooking up the 6505 with the 4x12 and the 2x12 with v30's on top. Will let you know how that goes.

As usual, I think that when playing any amp, you need to set the amp up first. Then once you get it where you like it, then fiddle with your effects. My most important pedal...eq!! I have a mxr 10 band that is priceless.
    The 6505 takes pedals very well.

I enjoy that each of my amps are close enough to each other but yet still have their own individuality.
    Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by Jigsisme; 10-07-2017, 10:55 AM.
    Guitars:
    2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
    Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
    Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Re: New toys, same but not the same

I traded a buddy amp heads for a month. I got his 6505. I found it a very good amp. I got quite a range of tones from it. Seems to me a lot of players think it's bread and butter is metal, I suppose that maybe but it is more versatile than some players think.

Comment

Good to know they are that versatile. I've never played one but I too always thought they were strictly a metal amp.

Comment

I didn't like the cleans as much as you did with the 6505 I played.

Not that it couldn't do cleans because it can sound clean as a bell all day long. It's just that they are a bit too clinical and flat I guess?
        Not much flavor or texture to them, kinda like plugging straight to a PA or something. But that's a thing of preference, and it has cleans.

But who buys a 6505 for the cleans?
        The green channel is Hard Rock heaven, and the red channel was a bit too much for me, IMO absolute overkill anywhere past half the gain knob.
        I much preferred the tone of pushing the green channel rather than using the red.

I could have a single channel amp of just that green channel tone, and happily live forever.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I know Steve Morse used a 5150 for years, now he has a signature ENGL. He sounded better with the 5150...and he got tons of tones from it.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X