NAD Yamaha THR 10X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Yamaha THR 10X

I pulled the trigger today on a Yamaha THR 10x practice amp. After screening several modeling amp candidates, kept coming back to the little Yamaha. I wanted to be able to record direct. I wanted several amp models but not unlimited choices. I wanted accuracy and simplified in a sturdy and cat resistant package.
    Almost all of the comparable choices had mini usb connectors. The Yamaha had the sturdy and locking USB type B connector which is commonly found on printers. The Mustang 40GT and Line 6 30V had too many choices and weird hissing noises that crudely imitated a tube amp. The Peavey Vypyr Vip1 and Marshall Code 50 were tough to control and shifted volume when I changed amp models. So too loud and again too unpredictable. Not looking for a HAL 9000. The Boss Katana was really close. It checked off most of the boxes and had a lovely speaker. Unfortunately, it’s construction looked cheap and being opened back meant a cover to keep the cats out.
    So, that left the Yamaha THR 10X. It is freaking loud for a small 10 watt amp. I could go from classic rock to extreme metal at low volumes and play my bass as well. The clean sounds are ok, but this is a heavy metal amp. They make a classic and an all purpose model. I like it. Now I need to get the carry back and it’s totally portable. Did I mention, it also runs on batteries as well as the supplied ac power supply. Included were essential usb and miniphone cables. I’ll review it at a later date.

Re: NAD Yamaha THR 10X

Those things are rad. They sound like they're plugged into huge cabs. Yamaha has great engineers on their payroll.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Came close to buying one bought katana head instead. Really liked the 10x also enjoyed the 10c as well. Enjoy it.

Comment

I like the Katana as well. It was open backed unless I got the head. My cats would be all over it and in side. The Yamaha had a better usb interface and records well to my MacBook Pro and played back like a stack. It was the simplicity, reliability and ergonomics that drew me to both amps. I am notruling out a Katana or a Blues Cube in my future. Right now the wife is happy with a smaller amp and dog and cats are leaving it alone.

Comment

I see a lot of those in videos of rockers backstage/at home. Skolnick & Nikki Sixx most recently.

Comment

Originally posted by BRHGM View Post
            I like the Katana as well. It was open backed unless I got the head. My cats would be all over it and in side. The Yamaha had a better usb interface and records well to my MacBook Pro and played back like a stack. It was the simplicity, reliability and ergonomics that drew me to both amps. I am notruling out a Katana or a Blues Cube in my future. Right now the wife is happy with a smaller amp and dog and cats are leaving it alone.
            They do punch above their weight class.

Comment

Absolutely. Although, I am 6'2" and 285, my wife and my dog could definitely take me down. The cats can do some damage. The amps punch above their class too.

Comment

Working...
              X