Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Rocker 15 vs OR15

Hello guys,

Lately I have become a big fan of Orange amps for their combination of full tone and portability.

I am considering one of these amps (Rocker 15 and OR15).
    Locally (I live in Athens,Greece) I have been able to to try only the Rocker 15.

Features aside, I am interested in the differences in the voicing of the mid/high gain between the two models.

From videos I figure that the Rocker is more vintage voiced while the OR15 can become more saturated and perhaps has more top end bite.

Anyone here that has played on both?
    Please shoot your comments!

Re: Orange Rocker 15 vs OR15

Have not played both, but do own the OR15. Love it! Very vintage sounding to my ears. I usually set my gain to 11 o'clock. Once you gain past 1 o'clock, it starts to get more modern sounding. Past 3 is too much for me......Fizz city.

Comment

The rocker 15 isn't that close to the old rocker 30, being el84 based and in combo form with a 10" speaker. Still, I really like the old 30.

However, I much favor the or15. I really like it so it gets my vote. Great crunch and, around 1 o'clock gets quite saturated withiut being fizzy... Just perfect.

I guess you also have to take in account the form factor: rocker = combo, or = head... If you have space for a combo both are good but if you don't own a ca , that's another piece to buy...

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Features-wise I much prefer the rocker. The clean channel and the attenuator would be used quite a bit. It is also very practical for small gigs being a small combo. However the main factor is tone for 70s/80s rock/hard rock.

Does the OR15 clean up nicely with guitar volume if the gain is at 1oclock ?

Comment

Originally posted by mariosyjp View Post
          Thanks for the replies! Features-wise I much prefer the rocker. The clean channel and the attenuator would be used quite a bit. It is also very practical for small gigs being a small combo. However the main factor is tone for 70s/80s rock/hard rock.

The OR15 can clean up when you roll back guitar volume, but you'll want to replace the stock tubes with Mullards if you want to reduce the amount of fizz and make the gain more controllable.

Comment

While there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, I know you posted the same question on the orange forum and that's where you're most likely to find guys who've tried both and compared them (as you know). I doubt many guys around here have even tried a rocker 15...

The rocker's circuit was great on the 30 and should be very good again on this one. If the features are what you really need in the combo, I very much doubt that a single channel head (OR15) will satisfy you. I l ove mine but I clearly don't have the same needs nor tastes as you, based on the little I read here. Just my 0.02.

Comment

Features are important but tone is even more so!
              I posted it also there for the reason that you guessed but I value the opinions of this forum's users more than any other.
              Why do you doubt that people here would have the rocker 15?

Comment

I have a lot of experience with both. Based on what you've posted here, you want the Rocker. The OR15 is for dudes with cabs who want a low power option. The R15combo is for everybody else.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

But their difference is also in tone not only in features correct? As a small combo yes it suits my needs but I'd rather have a small head and small cab if I enjoy the tone more.

Comment

Why do you doubt that people here would have the rocker 15?
                    Because it's still quite new. I frequent the amp forum more than any other on the SD board and it's hardly been mentioned since it came out so I was thinking your best chance was going to the other place... Didn't know empty pockets ever tried it...cool.

Comment

But their difference is also in tone not only in features correct? As a small combo yes it suits my needs but I'd rather have a small head and small cab if I enjoy the tone more.
                      Sure, but again: who's to say which's tone you'll enjoy more? At some point it all becomes speculation for people over the internet... nothing like real-life experiment!

Comment

Unfortunately there are no OR15 around these parts... is it accurate to say that the rocker does better the crunch mid gain tones of 70s rock while the OR15 does better high gain tones?

Comment

Unfortunately there are no OR15 around these parts... is it accurate to say that the rocker does better the crunch mid gain tones of 70s rock while the OR15 does better high gain tones?
                          I don't think so. When the gain goes below 11 o'clock on the OR15, It's a classic rock beast. That setting is similar to the R15 with it's gain around 1 o'clock.
                          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Also you could google it for reviews on the amps.
                            If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

They sound really similar. Like negligibly different from eachother.
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                              X