Ohms setting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohms setting??

If im running a 16 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab, what should I set the amp on?? Thanks!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Ohms setting??

Your total load of those two cabs is 5.33
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

+1

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        If im running a 16 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab, what should I set the amp on?? Thanks!!
        Do you put them in parallel or in series?

Comment

If he plugs them both into the amp it will be parallel. Also, the 8 ohm cab will get twice as much power as the 16 ohm cab, 'lectrons be goin' down the path of least resistance yo'. (I have no idea why I wrote that like that)
          Last edited by devastone; 11-17-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post

Your total load of those two cabs is 5.33
            I'd say either 4 or 8 would be OK, but yes, it's preferred to have under rather than over with a tube amp.

Comment

FWIW, the formula for mismatched parallel resistance is R = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn) so in this case it is R = 1/(1/8 + 1/16) = 5.33

Mixing cabs of different impedances won't hurt anything as long the total impedance is slightly greater than the setting on the amp (for tube amps, for SS amps doesn't really matter as long as the impedance is above the min rating on the amp), but isn't really the best practice since it doesn't split the power equally.

Comment

Thanks for the info!!! Yo! haha
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                X