Eleven rack Questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleven rack Questions..

Sweetwater is black Friday selling the Eleven racks for $349. IIRC, Ive heard those are good right? Are they user friendly? Also, to record with one, what other kind of things do you need? The write up says it does much of the processing to conserve comp resources.. Can this be used with a basic comp that doesnt have alot of storage/processing?

Thank you!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Eleven rack Questions..

Well, Eleven Racks have their limitations- I don't think they are being updated anymore, and the bundled software may not allow any kind of updating, either. I know on other forums there are a lot of people complaining about the quirks of an Eleven Rack (I haven't even seen one in person), but I think at the basis it has a good modeling engine. I think the source code is used on the newer Headrush modeling pedalboard (which gets good reviews).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Eleven Rack isn't an AxeFx, but it doesn't sound hugely inferior to the Axe Ultra. The user interface on the two is roughly comparable; basic sounds are relatively easy to dial in and there's deeper tweaking available if you want to use it. I've never tried to record with one, but it's my understanding that it has a built-in USB interface in addition to the modeling, so that all you'd need to record are DAW software and a USB cable.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

hmm.. I want to get into recording and it was considered a good system. Yeah the AXe FX came out and eclipsed it, but Im surely not a pro player or programmer either. The one quirk I noticed after posting this is that this Sweetwater package is alittle more limited on the typical programs/software that comes with them..
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          hmm.. I want to get into recording and it was considered a good system. Yeah the AXe FX came out and eclipsed it, but Im surely not a pro player or programmer either. The one quirk I noticed after posting this is that this Sweetwater package is alittle more limited on the typical programs/software that comes with them..
          Unless you're planning to use Pro Tools as your DAW you're only giving up software that you didn't plan to use in the first place. I use Logic Pro on OS X, so I'd have no use for Pro Tools. If you're planning to use Reaper or similar, you wouldn't need it either.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

^ That said, most applications for a beginners are going to want ProTools, in my experience because that is what most people are going to teach you on. Then you are out of luck, because part of the expense of the original 500+ dollar unit was the license for ProTools that did not expire ever like this cheaper unit they sell now.

Thats the rub. If you are experienced enough to go outside that parameter, it's probably all good .
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              ^ That said, most applications for a beginners are going to want ProTools, in my experience because that is what most people are going to teach you on. Then you are out of luck, because part of the expense of the original 500+ dollar unit was the license for ProTools that did not expire ever like this cheaper unit they sell now.

Thats the rub. If you are experienced enough to go outside that parameter, it's probably all good .
              No experience at all.. thats the prob... trying to get started..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It was a cutting edge computer in 2009.

Would you buy ANY computer built eight years ago? For anything?
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

You can consider the Atomic Amplifire Box, its around 299 I think. Since you want to use it with PC that would be good option. But since you are trying to get it for recording purposes mostly, a software modeller would be cheaper along with a audio interface. SGear has a month or 15day trial period, is on sale for $99 now.

Comment

If you are wanting to get started in recording, I would recommend a decent interface, which will less than 1/2 the price of the Eleven, and download a recording program (like Reaper) and some amp sims (there are free plugins you can download to get started). You'll probably also want some drum loops or something to play over, just using the metronome will get old pretty quick. What kind of monitors do you have? Some decent monitors and/or headphones are a necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      If you are wanting to get started in recording, I would recommend a decent interface, which will less than 1/2 the price of the Eleven, and download a recording program (like Reaper) and some amp sims (there are free plugins you can download to get started). You'll probably also want some drum loops or something to play over, just using the metronome will get old pretty quick. What kind of monitors do you have? Some decent monitors and/or headphones are a necessity.
                      none.. Starting from ground 0

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Definitely look into some decent monitors then, not "computer speakers", and an interface, 2 in/2 out should be fine to start with. A Line 6 interface might be a good place to start and it comes with a version of POD Farm for amp sims and effects.

Comment

The Eleven Rack is not too bad. I bought it when it was bundled with a full version of pro tools...I don't know what they're selling it with now. I use it for a practice tool building tracks in pro tools.
                          2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                          1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
                          X