Ideas on getting rid of a spider...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ideas on getting rid of a spider...

Have an honest conversation with her about the amp. Educate her on the differences between the amp and the sound you are looking for. I would think if you explain how the amp is limiting your growth as a musician she will be willing to listen. If the money is not an issue and it won't impact your household budget I would think she will be resonable. If not get a new "she" then a new amp.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Maybe you could talk her into running it through a better cab,,,,,,,,sort-of a compromised solution.
      The cab could also serve a better amp/head in the future, so it's never wasted money to get a pro-level cab.
      That or try to help her get a better to e out of it. Suggest/offer sitting with her to set it up.
      The condescention of "your amp is bad and you sound bad, get a better amp" won't probably lead to anything good and won't help your relation and band dynamics... Being in a band is about more than tone.

Comment

Perhaps just a different speaker?

Also, those Line 6 Spiders are capable of a bazillion different sounds… Maybe it’s just a matter of picking a different amp model or whatever for it. It might be easier to get her to adjust her sound than it is to get her to buy a new amp... particularly if money is tight.

Also could be a matter of her dialing in her sound at home but then it sounds like crap when she’s in the mix. I had that going on for a while and finally asked my bandmates to bear with me one night while I fiddled with dials for a half an hour or so to get it tweaked for the mix instead. They were more than willing to oblige and our stage sound improved immensely.

Everybody’s sound is a matter of personal pride for them and a lot of times it’s a difficult conversation to tell someone that it sucks.

Of course, it could also just be that she has no ear for sound, too much pride to change, and too dumb to realize that she’s pushing it.
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Tell her that either her amp goes or she goes. Then don't ever run for public office ...

Comment

Do women know anything about gear?

Irony mode /ON
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

You can skip to 8:30

A new cab is only going to make a marginal difference. There's lots better for cheap!
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                Do women know anything about gear?

Irony mode /ON
                Why?
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Maybe you could talk her into running it through a better cab,,,,,,,,sort-of a compromised solution.
                  The cab could also serve a better amp/head in the future, so it's never wasted money to get a pro-level cab.
                  It doesn't even have a speaker out lol
                  EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Purple (DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasies)
                  Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
                  Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/59B N)
                  Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
                  PRS Archon
                  Line 6 Helix -> Powerstage

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post

A new cab is only going to make a marginal difference. There's lots better for cheap!
                    I love that video
                    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Purple (DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasies)
                    Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
                    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/59B N)
                    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
                    PRS Archon
                    Line 6 Helix -> Powerstage

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post

I just finally got a chance to watch that… Freaking HILARIOUS!
                          Originally posted by The Commodores?
                          "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Offer to send it in to those guys for "improvement modifications"!

Comment

Which model Spider?

I would make a stereo recording of your band live in your practice space. If she hears it on playback, she might change her mind.

Amps can be intimidating, as can new technologies. Some people like their comfort zones. Lord knows I hear a lot of people say they can't handle all the knobs and switches on Mesa amps. Is she a technophobe?

Women hear differently than men. Men will adjust a graphic EQ with the mids scooped. A woman will almost always reverse the curve into a mild frown, lowering the bass and high treble frequencies. That might sound wrong, bad, congested, nasal, muddy, etc. to a guy.

Is money an issue? Does a better amp mean a bigger, heavier amp that she might not be able to lift or transport? What are you willing to do if these are issues for her?

You need to talk to her, without being condescending or judgmental. It will be hard. Get your point across, and then let it go. If you nag her she will dig in...and you WILL LOSE!! (Nag a guy about it and he'll probably want to punch you out!)

Good luck.

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

If you have a talk about tone, you could phrase it as a combined-band-tone issue, rather than just an individual bad tone issue. You might be able to convince her of the actual truth, that what sounds best by itself seldom sounds best when in a mix among other tones & instruments. Chances are, that Spider is capable of producing at least one or two better tones for the band's collective sound than it has been so far.
                                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                                X