Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp options RACK DOWNGRADE

Hi guys,

so i have a rack and like most rack guys im sick of how heavy it is, especially as i dont have any rack FX, its far too powerful and personally i feel like my pedalboard into a clean amp is both more versatile AND sounds better.

I have no money so im gonna trade it for something.

Currently i have an engl e530 into a marshall 100/100 with 2 tubes pulled on the B side which go into a 2X12 (not getting rid of it)

if i can hold on to the engl then thats awesome but if not i wont cry over it

What would be a good swap?

im thinking single/duel channel head with a decent amount of head room, all the gigs i play are normally miced but it needs to be powerfull enough to cut through a small venue just in case but small enough to sound good at low stage volume
    i play pretty much anything and quite regularly (im a music student in various style bands ranging from metal, jazz, funk, ska, indie and generic covers)

Re: Amp options RACK DOWNGRADE

If you like the sound of your pedalboard into a clean amp, you could get something like a SD Powerstage and forego the traditional amp head altogether?

Comment

i like the look of a meaty back line, also some sort of preamp is nice for cleans

Comment

If you want to use pedals into a clean amp it's hard to beat a Fender Deluxe or Twin.

And, since Fenders are a standard backline amp if your pedals are dialled in to sound good into Fenders you're golden.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by ToastyMagician View Post
          i like the look of a meaty back line, also some sort of preamp is nice for cleans
          Pedal preamp and dummy stacks?
          Last edited by Sirion; 12-02-2017, 01:23 AM.

Comment

ehh, i know it would work and probably sound good but that kind of thing just isnt my style, im really only looking for a head

Comment

I looked at Fender's web site and was surprised to see no 100 or 60 watt amp heads listed. Most amp heads sold these days are high gain amps usually with channel switching. Some have outstanding clean channels, though. Some ideas.

Non Master volume amps:

*A used vintage Fender Dual Showman. Might need to add an FX loop.
              *A 100 watt Marshall superleadplexi with a loop.

Channel switchers:

*The Marshall JVM 2 or 4 series has a good clean channel and lots of features in terms of assignable loops and midi switching. Also a good master volume from whisper quiet to loud as you will ever need.

*The Marshall 2555x re-issue 100 watt silver jubilee. Much simpler than a JVM, but a great clean channel when set up for it and a pretty good straight forward loop. The 2555x can also take 6L6GC, 6550, KT-88...ect tubes with just a simple and safe re-bias by the user, if higher head room or a different response in the power amp is needed.

Comment

ehh, i know it would work and probably sound good but that kind of thing just isnt my style, im really only looking for a head
                Is your goal to be a pedals into clean amp guy? Or do you want a 2 channel head with a distortion channel?

The Engl suggests you're into some fairly heavy music, and if that's what you're into you may find pedals pretty disappointing once the novelty wears off.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                  Is your goal to be a pedals into clean amp guy? Or do you want a 2 channel head with a distortion channel?

The Engl suggests you're into some fairly heavy music, and if that's what you're into you may find pedals pretty disappointing once the novelty wears off.
                  Pedals into clean amp for the most part however I wanna be able to get a nice breakup on its own because I can't always take my board

The Engl gain is great but I prefer a TS onto my shredmaster into a clean amp

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Pedals into clean amp for the most part however I wanna be able to get a nice breakup on its own because I can't always take my board

In that case either the JVM 2 /4, or the 2555x would be good. Either will yield great sounding overdrives plus have good clean channels -without any pedals- if needed. The Jube takes overdrives in front very well in addition to its loop, but the JVMs have assignable loops and midi, so would probably be a more capable pedal platform.

A used Fender 60 watt Supersonic head would also be good, as well as several Mesa's but I don't know how available they are in the UK? The big Oranges are another option.

Comment

Have you tried any of the Orange amps? The guitarist in my band used a TH-30 and it sounded great for clean and dirty.

It also might be worth experimenting with other amps. If I remember correctly Engls are dry and scooped. Something with more mids like a Marshall, Orange, or Blackstar might be more up your alley.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                        Have you tried any of the Orange amps? The guitarist in my band used a TH-30 and it sounded great for clean and dirty.

It also might be worth experimenting with other amps. If I remember correctly Engls are dry and scooped. Something with more mids like a Marshall, Orange, or Blackstar might be more up your alley.
                        I'll have to have a look about, I was thinking of orange but I find them a touch too muddy, same goes for a lot of Marshalls

I'll take a pic of my board when I get home but I will be upgrading bits of it

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	pedalboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5804271 here it is

Comment

I'll have to have a look about, I was thinking of orange but I find them a touch too muddy, same goes for a lot of Marshalls

I'll take a pic of my board when I get home but I will be upgrading bits of it

What about Blackstar head? They have good cleans, can do overdrive on their own, and are definitely not muddy.
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                              What about Blackstar head? They have good cleans, can do overdrive on their own, and are definitely not muddy.
                              Hmmm good shout

Comment

Working...
                              X