Who does "re-amping"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who does "re-amping"?

I've got a project in the works where I'll need to re-amp. To those who do this, what do use and like? What devices/methods don't you like? Is there a distinct sonic difference between using a reamp box and not?

Thanks all.
    Artie

Re: Who does "re-amping"?

You definitely want a re-amp box. You'll get tons of noise you want to get rid of.

Watch Spectre Sound Studio's video tutorial on how to do this.

Comment

I do reamping on a regular basis.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      I've got a project in the works where I'll need to re-amp. To those who do this, what do use and like?
      To reamp properly you will need two things:

First is an interface that has at least one fixed line output. It should also be able to be set so the input you are monitoring is not looping through to the output or you will get horrible feedback. That is why small interfaces with only variable, monitor outputs do not work well for reamping. Ideally, you want to have your interfaces first two outputs be your monitor or main stereo outputs, and use an ADDITIONAL line out feeding out for reamping. Because you are feeding the signal out of your interface, into an amp, mic'ing that amp, and then feeding it back into the interface, you have to make sure that the reamped track's output is NOT the same as the output you are using to reamp. You will hate your life if you have that happen, as will everyone within earshot of the amp!

Second is a reamp box that can do the line to instrument level conversion. I use a Radial passive unit, the Pro RMP. You will need a cable that goes from 1/4" TRS to XLR to use the RMP.

Second is a box that can convert the line level signal to an instrument level.

What devices/methods don't you like? Is there a distinct sonic difference between using a reamp box and not?
      See above. You must use a reamp box or the DI guitar signal you are feeding out from your interface will sound terrible.

Reamping if fairly simple, but you have to be VERY careful and mute/unmute tracks and have a solid grasp of your signal flow. It's tedious work but yields great results if you are self recording because you can focus on just one aspect at a time.
      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 12-10-2017, 09:22 PM.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Second is a reamp box that can do the line to instrument level conversion. I use a Radial passive unit, the Pro RMP. You will need a cable that goes from 1/4" TRS to XLR to use the RMP.

Second is a box that can convert the line level signal to an instrument level.

See above. You must use a reamp box or the DI guitar signal you are feeding out from your interface will sound terrible.
        I don't reamp nearly as much as TO, but I've done it a few times. If you just want to try it out, you can skip the reamp box and hook up a passive DI backward. Take the output of your interface and run it into the typical "output" of the DI box, and take the "input" of the DI into the amp. It may not sound quite as good or be quite as easy to set up, but it'll work in a pinch.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          I don't reamp nearly as much as TO, but I've done it a few times. If you just want to try it out, you can skip the reamp box and hook up a passive DI backward. Take the output of your interface and run it into the typical "output" of the DI box, and take the "input" of the DI into the amp. It may not sound quite as good or be quite as easy to set up, but it'll work in a pinch.
          I did this when recording an EP a few years ago, and it sounded good at the time. When I went to use that DI again (but hooked up properly so that I was recording the DI), the sound through my Mark IV was brittle, and lacked a ton of fullness compared to plugging straight in and bypassing the DI completely.

Now this was a cheap Behringer model, but doing the ol' poor man's reamp seemed to permanently screw up that box. I did get feedback from improperly muting/unmuting tracks a couple of times too...

Point is, if you don't want to buy a reamp box, try this out. You may get great results. I recorded what I got and it still sound decent

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I've been doing this for over years when I work on an album. It has the power of undo /redo decisions and can spare an ample of time. However, I am always on recording a mix-ready guitar track right at the moment of tracking. It adds to the performance. If I receive DI guitars from a remote musician to construct / mix / master someone else's project for a paying gig that's a completely different story of course, most of the time a couple of test runs are required for decent result and start the real recording.

When I do it I use a signal splitter with no load and feed the guitar both into a DI box and a fully armed guitar rig, mic'd and set to kill. Most of the time this becomes the main sound at the end and I use the dry DI signal to add layers to that sound (using other amps / tracks that I engage / disengage during chorus etc) and it is really rare that I discard the initial rig and have to redo the main guitar sound from the scratch.

I am a fan of not using the unaltered signal. With all the studio goodies you have all the power to improve it and solve many issues or to create something new. Also, no law tells to reamp raw guitar signals only. You can use it as a creative tool and reamp anything and the mixture of anything. Sometimes I add synth components or two single-note guitar tracks for the main guitar signal, sub synth layer to bass guitar, running synths, vocals, snares or kick drum through a Marshall, or even a full mix. And so on so on forth. The driven guitar amp is such a beautiful sonic mess generator.
            Last edited by NecroPolo; 12-11-2017, 01:44 AM.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Forgive me if I'm wroing, but isn't the eaisest way to re-amp as follows?

1: Record digitally through AD-converter/sound card onto computer.
              2: Do all necessary editing in DAW.
              3: Send signal from computer through DI or Re-Amp Box into mic'd up amp?
              4: Send mic'd signal back into recording computer?
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                Forgive me if I'm wroing, but isn't the eaisest way to re-amp as follows?

1: Record digitally through AD-converter/sound card onto computer.
                2: Do all necessary editing in DAW.
                3: Send signal from computer through DI or Re-Amp Box into mic'd up amp?
                4: Send mic'd signal back into recording computer?
                This is the the exact procedure.

Comment

TwilightOdyssey nailed it. I use the ProRMP too, but I modded mine a bit.
                  TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I do a fair bit. Probably more so than playing these days.

I have a diy reamp box that is a clone of the radial pro rmp and a palmer dacappo.

Both work very well but the palmer has a slightly cleaner output.
                    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Thanks for the good info. This is along the lines of what I thought it would be. My signal chain would probably be: Tascam GB-10>reamp box>amp of choice>Sennheiser e609 Silver>Focusrite Scarlett 2i2>Reaper DAW.

I'll also probably be using an iso-cab for the amp part. The Radial looks good. I don't mind the expense of a good reamp box. Jensen Transformer has a good schematic for one using their high quality transformer. I may build theirs.

Thanks again all. I'll let you know how this goes.

Artie

Comment

Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X