banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

repaired Fender reverb, dim/low tube power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repaired Fender reverb, dim/low tube power.

New to amplifier use. Bought a used Fender Twin Reverb needing a repair. When received, noticed the tube glow is very dim,all else appears in order, volume etc. Should I be concerned? Expected bright tubes. tech says normal condition. thanks

Re: repaired Fender reverb, dim/low tube power.

welcome to the forum!

do you have a meter? the glow in tubes is from the heaters, there should be 6.3v ac. if the voltage is low then there may be an issue. does the amp sound ok?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      welcome to the forum!

do you have a meter? the glow in tubes is from the heaters, there should be 6.3v ac. if the voltage is low then there may be an issue. does the amp sound ok?
      +1

Brightness of tube glow can depend on a number of factors, including the tubes themselves. I've noticed that different tubes (even of the same type) often glow to differing degrees.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by azCanade View Post
        tech says normal condition. thanks
        The power tubes in a Twin Reverb don't have to work very hard unless you are playing at "too loud for the rest of the band, too loud for the sound engineer and too loud for the club" volumes.
        Enjoy.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Lots of current production 12AX7's have spiral filaments and don't glow bright. Mainly the Sovtek made tubes ... EH, LPS, Mullard RI and Tung-sol RI. But I think one of the JJ 12AX7 variants as well.

Comment

Working...
          X