Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good valve-driven versatile amp??!

Hi all,
    I'm looking to upgrade from my marshall valvestate. I love the Marshall sound but then I haven't tried many others.
    Ideally I want one with 3-channels.
    What's the most versatile option? Is it Marshall or Mesa, Orange, Laney, Peavey??
    Thoughts and recommendations pls!!

A good valve-driven versatile amp??!

Take a look at the Blackstar lineup. They have some great offerings.

Comment

Re: A good valve-driven versatile amp??!

If you want to stick to a Marshall, a JVM410 is fairly versatile with 4 channels, Peaveys and Mesas probably won’t give you the Marshall sound, even with EL34s. If you are ok with spending quite a bit then get some Friedman amps or Victorys, or you can get an old Marshall and get Mike Fortin to mod it for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are the Blackstar's like a clone of the Marshalls?
        And are the Victorys only two channel?

Comment

I wouldn’t call the Blackstar amps “clones” but they are definitely British flavored. They are in the same ballpark though. Fwiw, I had a JVM for a while. Although it sounded good I had nothing but problems with mine. I had to send it in for repair on the fx loop and on 3 occasions I got to a gig, set up my rig and it wouldn’t produce any sound.
          I have no experience with the Victory line so I can’t comment.
          Last edited by Gtrjunior; 12-12-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks!
            I'm now looking at the blackstar series one. What's your thoughts on the 45W combo or 50W head compared to the 100W or 200W head?
            Is it worth spending the extra few £s to get the couple of extra channels? Would it be worth it as I'm looking for a 'British' or 'Marshall' overdrive?

Comment

It’s really up to your needs. A 50w amp is plenty loud for just about all applications. And 200W IMO is just ridiculous.
              I personally prefer a head and cab over a combo amp but thats just me. There are plenty of killer combo amps out there.
              I have a 20W Blackstar and that is too loud on “3”.
              But the series one line is killer.

Comment

Let me ask you this:
                Why do you need more than 2 channels? What is your thoughts on how you want to use each channel?

Comment

I suppose I just like the versatility and like to get as much out of one amp as possible. I like to play most styles from Bon Jovi to Clapton to John Mayer. So really I'm looking for some nice warm clean tones through to massive overdrive.
                  Thanks for your help!

Comment

I’d really suggest looking at some 2 channel amps as well. There are so many great drive pedals on the market that you can get any tone you need by using a pedal on the clean channel.
                    You can put an MXR Micro Amp in he fx loop for a solo boost. So that gets covered there. The possibilities are endless.

Comment

If you've got deep pockets, check out a Bogner Ecstasy. Three channels of amazing hot-rodded Marshall tone doesn't come cheap.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

You need to check out the Mesa Mark V, or the V:25 and V:35 if you don't need big-amp power.

The TC-50 and -100 will do Marshallesque tones. Three channels, and the ability to use stock EL34, or 6V6 and 6L6 tubes.

These amps are the epitome of versatility, and very well-built. Give them a try.

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

They may be a bit too pricey for my budget atm!
                          Thanks for your replies though.
                          I think I may give the Blackstar series one a go.

Comment

Working...
                          X