X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - 1968 50 Watt Plexi (clip)

Well, not exactly...

Follow my amp build/mod thread here:
    https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...dding-Content)

In essence, after a few iterations over a decade, I turned my '96 JTM45RI into a 1968 Plexi circuit (w/ tube rectifier).

Here's what it sounded like before:

Here's what it sounds like now (a quick clip in honor of the dude [BPJ] whose '66 JTM45 Bass first inspired me to get into building/modding Marshalls
    way back in the early 2k's on the Plexi Palace forum):

Signal chain:

2008 Gibson Custom Shop '61 LP/SG Custom (57 Classics)
    |
    amp (everything dimed except bass "1", vol "9")
    |
    1x12 w/ Celestion Alnico Gold
    |
    SM57 hair off-center of cap
    |
    UA 2-610
    |
    DAW

- No EQ except hi and lo pass
    - Waves iR1 w/ Sunset Studios echo chamber (just a touch)
    - For wah, I had to use VST (BIAS FX) and manually move the virtual treadle with the mouse
    - Izotope Ozone 7 on the 2
    Last edited by LLL; 06-20-2018, 06:14 PM.

Re: NAD - 1968 50 Watt Plexi (clip)

Tasty!
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Are you using a SS rectifier?

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        Tasty!
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
          Are you using a SS rectifier?
          No, tube. (NOS Philips ECG 5AR4)

Comment

Wow! That sounds KILLER.
            Nice work bro!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              Wow! That sounds KILLER.
              Nice work bro!!
              Thanks! It does sound t!t$ whether shoving a SM57 in front, or slaving with line out and using iRs for speaker, or just slaving.

All that low end that it had before has been trimmed off. A lot less flab, a lot more muscle and bite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pacinohooah.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	5804575
              Last edited by LLL; 12-24-2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Thanks! It does sound t!t$ whether shoving a SM57 in front, or slaving with line out and using iRs for speaker, or just slaving.

All that low end that it had before has been trimmed off. A lot less flab, a lot more muscle and bite.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85594[/ATTACH]
                Yup, too much low end isn’t necessarily a good thing. It might sound great at home by yourself but in a band mix the bass guitar will win that battle every time.

Comment

Status update:

It's been a half year since I did these mods and the tone still kicks mucho arse... no need or want to change anything else about it.

When I can stick an SM57 in front and record without using EQ ('cept hi/lo pass) and it sounds good, that's the litmus test for me.

The .68uF bypass on V2 is something else... gain gain gain for a plexi.

Apparently Marshall did this for a year or two and then stopped (why? who knows).

It's also a blast having split cathode now [ 820+330uf (normal) & 820+.68uf (bright) ] vs. the shared (typical '66 JTM45 circuit)...
                  ...the way the amp was before, it had quite a lot of low end... and not tight, either. Of course the new Rk/Ck values and tone stack
                  help with that too.

I believe the Sozos ("new manufacture" that is) sound better than the Mallorys... in a "more clarity" way.

So, the only other Marshalls on my "gotta have one" list would be a 2203, 1959 and a 1958... next!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                    Status update:

It's been a half year since I did these mods and the tone still kicks mucho arse... no need or want to change anything else about it.

When I can stick an SM57 in front and record without using EQ ('cept hi/lo pass) and it sounds good, that's the litmus test for me.

The .68uF bypass on V2 is something else... gain gain gain for a plexi.

Apparently Marshall did this for a year or two and then stopped (why? who knows).

It's also a blast having split cathode now [ 820+330uf (normal) & 820+.68uf (bright) ] vs. the shared (typical '66 JTM45 circuit)...
                    ...the way the amp was before, it had quite a lot of low end... and not tight, either. Of course the new Rk/Ck values and tone stack
                    help with that too.

I believe the Sozos ("new manufacture" that is) sound better than the Mallorys... in a "more clarity" way.

So, the only other Marshalls on my "gotta have one" list would be a 2203, 1959 and a 1958... next!
                    I’d really like to try my hand at a Plexi build one of these days.

Comment

That is just freaking awesome. Well done, mate.
                      "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Nice demo, amp sounds fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                        X