Need some tips with the tone. Marshall DSL40C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some tips with the tone. Marshall DSL40C

Start with checking the bias. If it is still too bright, do a search on "marshall dsl40c c19 mod" or "marshall dsl40c bright cap mod", it tells you how to remove the bypass "bright" cap on the gain channel. On the Soldano SLO it was known as the Warren Haynes mod.

Comment

DSLs are voiced extremely bright in the red channel. I would never use the conventional scooped setting that OP started with.

My starting point with DSL red channels is actually extremes - treble at 0, mids and bass maxed, presence at 0, resonance at noon. Then bring up treble/presence, bring down mids/bass/resonance to taste.

OP might also want to try the green channel on crunch mode with gain maxed. With that setting and the JB pickup and TS overdrive, OP might be able to dial in a righteous metal/hard rock tone without having to fight with the red channel.

Comment

Its the bias like i said before, even the 7080 speaker is much warmer and not harsh when i tried one again
        tone slut
        Marshall DSL 40C
        Fender EVH Striped Series
        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
        Mogami cables

Comment

That is a lot of presence and combined with a tube screamer I'd like would be overwhelming. I'd adjust that down and also like others said drive to 0 on the screamer and level up. That is mostly how they are used and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
            DSLs are voiced extremely bright in the red channel. I would never use the conventional scooped setting that OP started with.

My starting point with DSL red channels is actually extremes - treble at 0, mids and bass maxed, presence at 0, resonance at noon. Then bring up treble/presence, bring down mids/bass/resonance to taste.

OP might also want to try the green channel on crunch mode with gain maxed. With that setting and the JB pickup and TS overdrive, OP might be able to dial in a righteous metal/hard rock tone without having to fight with the red channel.
            Back when i had a dsl and a drive pedal, i did just like this guy says. Especially with the green channel, with the bass kept medium-low and gain mazed it should crunch like a decent marshall, then add the drive pedal.
            And the drive pedal with Level cranked way up, Overdrive way down.

Amp must be very loud for these settings to sound good, thats why I sold it. Couldn't get That Sound without master volume on at least 3.5/10. Once the master volume is above half i noticed the amp smooths out a LOT and you can start to increase to presence and treble without it being harsh

Comment

Working...
            X