banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just caught a new Jet City JCA22C at $264!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just caught a new Jet City JCA22C at $264!

Got the head today. A little frustrated in I cut my left index finger just below the knuckle so i giving me fits trying to play right now. The amp sounds amazing however. Much fatter and less fizzy than the 1st JCA 22H I had on the Overdrive side and the Crunch side is a lot more usable. The low gain side will do nice cleans to a solid vintage Marshall crunch well and is a huge improvement over the 1st gen on this amp. However the Overdrive side is just beastly!! Thick full and punchy with just tons of gain on tap it's so far a great sounding little rig but am having to play at super low volumes right now . Will be interesting o get it cranked up and let her sing a little. Only down side so far is it's pretty noisey on the Overdrive side at higher gains but backing down the gain to around 10:30 or so helped a lot and got a really expressive huge "brown sound".
    Keep you guys posted but so far digging this little amp a LOT!
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-04-2018, 01:43 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Spent a little more time with the amp tonight. Still running super low volumes so things may change when I get a chance to crank it up some.
      First off the tones are amazing. The Overdrive side is just HUGE sounding that classic EVH Brown sound just explodes out of this thing it's downright inspiring!! The other channel is also really nice with a pretty good range of warm cleans to classic British crunches depending on gain settings . Loop is the biggest surprise on this one. the loop on my 1st 22H was just ok this one is the very best loop i have used. Puts the loops on my 3 Boogies to SHAME running my pedal board. No tonal change to speak of and the digital verb and delay sounds amazing through his loop!
      That's the good now for a little bad.
      The amp is noisey and not the normal hiss noisey will get into more detail later but it's there. Also at least at very low volumes channel switching wth the foot switch has a pretty good POP.
      Learned really quickly this amp flat loves the WGS Retro 30 I have in my Blackstar cab and overall I am flat floored by the tones on this thing so she will stay. Biggest shocker is how it gets just monster thick rich liquid sustaining metal tones at super low bedroom volumes so cant wait to see what this thing will do when i can get her up and singing.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        The amp sounds amazing however. Much fatter and less fizzy than the 1st JCA 22H I had on the Overdrive side and the Crunch side is a lot more usable.
        I've never heard the 22 Custom, but the original 22H was made for JJ 12AX7s. I know you don't care for them in your Mesas, but they work great in the gain stages (V1-V3) of my 22H. Tames the lead channel fizz wonderfully with little if any change to the crunch channel.

In case anyone is wondering, this is the tube chart I've used:
        V1a Shared Crunch/OD
        V1b Crunch
        V2 OD
        V3a Shared Crunch/OD
        V3b Cathode Follower
        V4 Loop
        V5 Phase Inverter
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Price back up to $480 as of today anybody else grab one of these for the deal? Mine will arrive tomorrow!
          Just made the cut,ordered my 22 Custom early yesterday morning,got shipped status email early this morning..anyday now ! Jonesing !

Comment

Got the head today. A little frustrated in I cut my left index finger just below the knuckle so i giving me fits trying to play right now. The amp sounds amazing however. Much fatter and less fizzy than the 1st JCA 22H I had on the Overdrive side and the Crunch side is a lot more usable. The low gain side will do nice cleans to a solid vintage Marshall crunch well and is a huge improvement over the 1st gen on this amp. However the Overdrive side is just beastly!! Thick full and punchy with just tons of gain on tap it's so far a great sounding little rig but am having to play at super low volumes right now . Will be interesting o get it cranked up and let her sing a little. Only down side so far is it's pretty noisey on the Overdrive side at higher gains but backing down the gain to around 10:30 or so helped a lot and got a really expressive huge "brown sound".
            Keep you guys posted but so far digging this little amp a LOT!
            Knob settings please !! Mine will arrive probably Monday morning..ready for it now Dammit!!

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              I've never heard the 22 Custom, but the original 22H was made for JJ 12AX7s. I know you don't care for them in your Mesas, but they work great in the gain stages (V1-V3) of my 22H. Tames the lead channel fizz wonderfully with little if any change to the crunch channel.

V1a Shared Crunch/OD
              V1b Crunch
              V2 OD
              V3a Shared Crunch/OD
              V3b Cathode Follower
              V4 Loop
              V5 Phase Inverter
              This is helpful on your tube chart,good info for sure..my new 22 Custom should arrive by Monday,and I already emailed Doug at Jet City and he said to email him right when mine arrives and he will email me complete schematics and tube location chart..and this was at damn near 9pm when I emailed not expecting any response until next day or whenever and he emailed me right back, so that is a huuge for me + seems like their customer service is top notch. Can't wait !

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

V1a Shared Crunch/OD
                V1b Crunch
                V2 OD
                V3a Shared Crunch/OD
                V3b Cathode Follower
                V4 Loop
                V5 Phase Inverter
                Have you swapped power tubes out yet from the stock ones,I presume JJ's ? I have read some say the Mullards run the best in these but cost much more ..? I will have to research that for myself,but I already have a brand new Matched Quad of JJ's el-84's and lots of preamp tubes..if I get my amp before anybody else here does and i swap tubes around I will post my results,but I am looking for the best overall highest gain sound !! Plan on trying Tungsol re-issue 12ax7 in V1 and looks like V2 & V3, just for kicks,probably be pretty bright with all 3 tungsols..waiting waiting waiting as patiently as I can !

Comment

Originally posted by moshpit817 View Post
                  And I just bought a new Boss Katana 1-12" combo yesterday..I always miss the Musicians friend sales..bad thing is I bought my new Katana at a Guitar Center,and they are Musicians Friend ! I didn't see one of these or any Jet City amps where I got my amp yesterday,so maybe online only..well I still have 44 days to turn this Katana back in..haha..
                  Answering my own posts..I did return the Katana 100wt 1-12" combo,sounded great but I loaded the Katana V2 stuff into the amp and my computer 8 times and erased it all and kept starting over,couldn't get it to work properly in the editing mode so I could swap their 55 pedals around and make custom presets,so I hauled ass back to G-Center,got the refund check and hauled ass to the bank to get it deposited asap,when it cleared i scored my 22 Custom !

Comment

What I wish they would do is a JCA25 in a 6V6 version like the new PRS Sonzera.
                    Here is a JCA 22H tha has been converted to 6V6 and the tones are just WICKED!

Wonder how much it cost to get the amp able to run the 6v6's ? will look on Youtube under the comments for this video and see if he gives any info out,but does sound huge !

Comment

Have you swapped power tubes out yet from the stock ones,I presume JJ's ? I have read some say the Mullards run the best in these but cost much more ..? I will have to research that for myself,but I already have a brand new Matched Quad of JJ's el-84's and lots of preamp tubes..if I get my amp before anybody else here does and i swap tubes around I will post my results,but I am looking for the best overall highest gain sound !! Plan on trying Tungsol re-issue 12ax7 in V1 and looks like V2 & V3, just for kicks,probably be pretty bright with all 3 tungsols..waiting waiting waiting as patiently as I can !
                      Haven't swapped tubes yet still trying to get a full set up together with a pedal board. Came with Chinese Shunghangs and sounds good as is but is noisy on the OD side.
                      Personally I absolutely HATE JJ pre amp tubes!! have a box full round here some where and to me they are instant tone killers! They make any amp instantly sound like it had a blanket thrown over it so unless I am trying to tame an amp with a harsh high end or use them as PI tubes (they do sound good here IMO!) I never run JJ's in my amps. Have a bunch of stuff to plug in and out and try so will get back to you on the tube combos.
                      Guitars

Comment

Quick phone clip running using my 1992 Washburn USA MG 104 with the stock Custom Custom bridge through a Fender 2/12 cab loaded with 70/Eighty's on the OD side of the amp with gain at 3 running my Supernatural delay and Boss DD-6 verb in the loop but nothing else. Home with the flu today and cut my left index finger just below the 1st knuckle yesterday so sorry for the very sloppy playing.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 01-05-2018, 01:41 PM.
                        Guitars

Comment

What I'm REALLY digging about his new little amp is the way it just SINGS on the Overdrive side for solos! Gain s at 3 I'm running a DD-6 in the loop playing my 92 Washburn USA MG and the amp is running through my Blackstar 1/12 with a WGS Retro 30. Fighting a cut on my left index finger so playing is pretty sloppy right now but check this cell phone recording out just playing this little beast over a backing track at super low volume!

This thing is not quite a match for my precious Zinky on fluid expressive solo tones but darned close!! Stomps a flat mudhole in my 3 Boogies for this stuff!
                          Haven't got to doing any tube swaps yet so just wait this things going to get even BETTER! Guys this little amp ROCKS and is a SO much better sounding amp than the 1st gen JCA22H I had!!!
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-05-2018, 05:30 PM.
                          Guitars

Comment

Off topic just a hair, but thought I'd mention the JC 212 cabs (even the vertical) are on big discounts at MF.
                            They're in the $200 area after discounts.

I know they are Emi-loaded, but I've read they're close to the p50e that Fryette uses,,,,,,,though I might well be wrong on that (?).

Comment

Knob settings please !! Mine will arrive probably Monday morning..ready for it now Dammit!!
                              Running the EQ's pretty much set straight up at noon the low boost on and bright off Crunch gain at noon OD gain at 10:30 or so. Just super easy to dial this amp in!!
                              Guitars

Comment

Haven't swapped tubes yet still trying to get a full set up together with a pedal board. Came with Chinese Shunghangs and sounds good as is but is noisy on the OD side.
                                Personally I absolutely HATE JJ pre amp tubes!! have a box full round here some where and to me they are instant tone killers! They make any amp instantly sound like it had a blanket thrown over it so unless I am trying to tame an amp with a harsh high end or use them as PI tubes (they do sound good here IMO!) I never run JJ's in my amps. Have a bunch of stuff to plug in and out and try so will get back to you on the tube combos.
                                If you dislike JJs that much, would you consider selling them? I've recently picked up a few amps that like them and find myself rather short of supply.
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X