• Show
Clear All

Re: Tube or Modeling Amp?

+1

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
      A different question I have of late: Why purchase a dedicated modeling amp, instead of a software/interface/PA-based solution?
      One thing comes to my mind: reliability. A fragile computer with a software running on it + messy background apps can fail thousand ways onstage. Only military grade equipment can survive what happens on the road. A computer built to that specs (Kemper, Axe-FX, POD HD, Yamaha THR and dedicated floor units) is a much better option but still not nearly as bombproof as simple analogue cirucits. That's how I ended up using analogue amp sims onstage (zero failure in the last 10 years or so).

Anyway, it is really nice to have all of them around. I use:

- modelling software for pre-production: idea tracking, demoing, composing and experimenting, practising etc
      - tube amps for production: studio work, both tracking and reamping, also for live occassionally
      - analogue modellers for post-production: onstage performance as they are super reliable and controllable

Sometimes I feel the demo software sim to fit the track better so I use it instead of a tube amp, or I reamp through the analogue modeller / cab sim if something is missing, or use all of them for layering e.t.c. - but I would never bring a computer onstage because of the high failure rate.
      Last edited by NecroPolo; 03-21-2019, 09:22 AM.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

Originally posted by UTGrad View Post
        $300
        I don't know why the thread didn't stop at that moment. How do you expect to get a good tube amps + 3-4 pedals for $300? (My assumption that you don't have pedals right now).

With $300 get a Boss Katana 100w, it will cover loudness for gigs, feel is very tube like and you will get (virtual) pedals since you have none (my assumption). The Katana is an amp with knobs on the front, no menu to go thru (unless you want to connect to a computer, which is not necessary) and its an hybrid amp with a analog power section. Sell your Vox to finance the Boss footswitch and you will get 8 presets+individual effect switching. Plus the Katana sounds also really good at bedroom level on the 0.5w power mode.

If you want a tube amp than start saving now and plan on a budget of at least $1000 for a used one plus 3-4 used pedals. Then a debate between tube amps vs modelers can start :-)

Comment

Working...
        X