banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played a friend's new Friedman BE50 yesterday... WHOAH!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Played a friend's new Friedman BE50 yesterday... WHOAH!!!!

whats the diff tween a Wildwood Pink Taco vs the regular Friedman one??
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

a couple of things that people tend to overlook is that Friedman as a company isn’t owned by Dave, apparently dave is just an employee these days. He also doesn’t have free reign over design changes. Word around the camp fire is that Bruce Egnator was brought onboard, and is the one behind a lot of the design revisions, and indeed from what I have seen regarding the new design, this looks suspiciously true. The new design follows the typical egnator input stage design, and as a whole, the preamp resembles the one that was in the Randall rm100si “the nuts” module.

Comment

This BE 50 is sick!! Wow! Listened to the vid posted and also this one on Sweetwater. This shows how responsive it is to playing and different guitars..

Get the Friedman BE-50 Deluxe tube amp here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BE-50DLXMitch Gallagher is joined by guitarist Dave Black, Nick Bowcott,...
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
          a couple of things that people tend to overlook is that Friedman as a company isn’t owned by Dave, apparently dave is just an employee these days. He also doesn’t have free reign over design changes. Word around the camp fire is that Bruce Egnator was brought onboard, and is the one behind a lot of the design revisions, and indeed from what I have seen regarding the new design, this looks suspiciously true. The new design follows the typical egnator input stage design, and as a whole, the preamp resembles the one that was in the Randall rm100si “the nuts” module.
          Huh. So who does own the company? Bruce or someone that owns Rack Systems or Tone Merchants or....

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
            Huh. So who does own the company? Bruce or someone that owns Rack Systems or Tone Merchants or....
            No, Bruce was contracted as part of the design team. Word around is Avi owns the Friedman branding now, and Boutique Amp dist is the company that is contracted to build them. Dave is still involved but not solely.

Comment

No, Bruce was contracted as part of the design team. Word around is Avi owns the Friedman branding now, and Boutique Amp dist is the company that is contracted to build them. Dave is still involved but not solely.
              I wonder how that came to be. None of our business I know, but I like it when the little guys develop great products and then reap the rewards when things go well.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

I don't know the breakdown of Friedman Amplification, but Rob Navarrette (Tone Merchants) and Dave own the Friedman name (trademark.)

Bruce was (is) a mentor to Dave, and they go way back. Bruce has always been involved with the amps in one way or the other.

Boutique Amp is a builder and distributor of many brands. That is what they do.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Bruce, Dave, and Rob Navarette I know of... Met the latter two gentlemen personally a few times. I've never met or heard of Avi Elkiss. What's he like? Looks like he runs the Boutique Amp Dist. company?
                  Last edited by B2D; 01-20-2018, 01:11 AM.

Comment

But does it Djent?
                    We spit on those who choose to pose, we thrash with all the rest!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                      I wonder how that came to be. None of our business I know, but I like it when the little guys develop great products and then reap the rewards when things go well.
                      Sure, everybody likes the Rocky storyline, but It’s not really unlike any other business that’s trying to grow out of being a basement operation. It starts becoming a huge undertaking both financially and time wise. I know people like the idea of one man tediously and carefully building each amp to order, and calling all the shots, but even very small companies seldom operate that way.
                      Last edited by Joey Voltage; 01-20-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Sure, everybody likes the Rocky storyline, but It’s not really unlike any other business that’s trying to grow out of being a basement operation. It starts becoming a huge undertaking both financially and time wise. I know people like the idea of one man tediously and carefully building each amp to order, and calling all the shots, but even very small companies seldom operate that way.
                        I was just watching the 2016 NAMM video with Dave and Greg Koch and Dave pretty much says that very thing. Dave says that running a factory takes a lot of work and it's pretty clear that he'd rather just work on designs, mods, and work with artists. I don't blame him.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          whats the diff tween a Wildwood Pink Taco vs the regular Friedman one??
                          The regular Taco sounds comparatively small. The Wildwood Taco has two switches that give it much more bottom end, like the Mini Dirty Shirley. My first Friedman was a regular Taco, several years ago. It had a great tone (pretty much that ONE tone). But it was all mids and highs. ZERO bottom end or headroom. Sold it to my buddy (who has the BE50) the next day. I dunno why Friedman doesn`t put more thump in the regular Taco, like the Mini Shirley has. Anyways... I've had three more Friedman's since then and all were great. I also demoed a Mini Shirley for a week or two and it's awesome. The Wildwood Taco has the thump of the Mini Shirley, with the tight, smooth tone of the BE. It's exactly what I've been wanting to backup my BE100 and use for home practice.

P.S. Though I love the tone of the Dirty Shirleys... they're too old school loose and soft for my tastes. I like the tight, smooth BE sound. It's my sound. It's the tone I've been looking for and hearing in my head since 1984. I've had a lot of awesome amps, but nothing that speaks to me even close to what the BE does. There was always something missing before the BE came into my life.

Yesterday I was playing a bunch of tunes from Savatage "Hall of the Mountain King" and "Gutter Ballet", Saxon "Innocence Is No Excuse", and other iconic 80s metal tones. Had an ear-to-ear grin for the whole 2.5 hours. That amp is just so F'ing inspirational to play. I seriously love it. The Wildwood Taco is supposed to be a 20-watt version of the BE100. Fingers crossed-
                          Last edited by Red_Label; 01-21-2018, 04:52 PM.
                          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                            I was just watching the 2016 NAMM video with Dave and Greg Koch and Dave pretty much says that very thing. Dave says that running a factory takes a lot of work and it's pretty clear that he'd rather just work on designs, mods, and work with artists. I don't blame him.
                            That's kinda typical with companies like that. The person that's the founder/name/artist has someone running the management/logistics while they work on the gear. It seems they prefer to remain the heart and soul of the company rather than the business detail. I get it, it makes sense.

Comment

Sorry this fake news. company is owned by myself David Friedman, Rob Navarette and John Shanks... Boutique amps are our manufacturing and sales partners.. Bruce has nothing to do with Friedman designs at all. He is involved with Synergy and Egnater though. As for the RANDALL I worked with Scott Ian on that and 2 others for his signature amp. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RACKSYSTEMS View Post
                                Sorry this fake news. company is owned by myself David Friedman, Rob Navarette and John Shanks... Boutique amps are our manufacturing and sales partners.. Bruce has nothing to do with Friedman designs at all. He is involved with Synergy and Egnater though. As for the RANDALL I worked with Scott Ian on that and 2 others for his signature amp. Thanks
                                Nice, quick, informative response Dave. Awesome.

Keep on cranking out the holy grail amps. I'll be adding a Wildwood Taco to my BE100 any day now, and hope to add a Phil X shortly. I love the tight punch of my BE, so I'm thinking that the thump of the Phil X is up my alley. Can I get my 2015 BE modded to have the glassy cleans of the BE50 Deluxe?
                                Last edited by Red_Label; 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X