banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Both Channels On Fender/Marshall Amps (switchable)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Both Channels On Fender/Marshall Amps (switchable)?

Howdy,

Many are familiar with the practice of jumping both inputs with a short, second signal cable. Of course you cannot do that with most Blackface amps because there is phase cancelling. However, many tweed, blonde and brown amps allow one to do so, as do some Marshalls (which had their genesis in the tweed bassman circuit). Since I was an idiot and got rid of an old 6G3 Deluxe about 19 years ago, I searched for another one, but wasn't thrilled with how the prices had escalated. Enter Ampeg! I found an Ampeg J20. They are very similar in their circuit to the 6G3. The one I found has most of the typical mods done to correct the misgivings of both the 6G3 and J20 circuits (standby re-configured, bias made adjustable, tweaked bass response, etc.). Regarding the "etc." this amp also has a mod that gangs the bright & normal channels without the need for a patch cable. This is done with a miniature 3-way switch that allows a choice of Bright, Normal or BOTH inputs. There is of course a noticeable boost in volume/gain when I flick from either the Bright or Normal to "BOTH." I'm wondering if it is possible to make the action foot-switchable? What I'd really like to be able to do is to go from either the Bright or Normal channel to BOTH channels (mainly for solos) via a foot-switch. Is this possible to do without having to utilize a relay or some hyper-complex wiring? I'm guessing if it is possible, then it'd be possible on Fenders AND Marshalls. The question is, can it be done relatively easy via a foot-switch?

P.S. I already have a 2-switch pedal which I use to activate the vibrato. The second side of the footswitch is unused. Yes, an A/B/Y switch would work, but I'm trying to avoid using two chords from the foot-switch to the amp.
    Last edited by guitback; 01-24-2018, 11:02 AM.

Re: Running Both Channels On Fender/Marshall Amps (switchable)?

I don't think it's possible to use an ABY to switch or combine Marshall channels in the 4 input models or the 2 input models.

I have all this gear so I should try. But I read it's not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
      I don't think it's possible to use an ABY to switch or combine Marshall channels in the 4 input models or the 2 input models.

I have all this gear so I should try. But I read it's not possible.
      You have part of that correct. On a 2-hole Marshall both inputs will work simultaneously, but they'll both be low gain. OTOH you could absolutely use an ABY switch with a 4-hole Marshall. On most 4-hole Marshalls I'd rather jumper the inputs and use both channels than play through one or the other. I don't know about the OP's Ampeg, but you won't get additional gain when using both inputs of a 4-hole Marshall since the gain stages are wired in parallel.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

^^This^^ is exactly how I run my 4 hole Marshall build. I use an active ABY (Fulltone True-Path).

Comment

Working...
        X