Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubemeister, jet City or egnater tweaker

Hi,

I'm looking for a small, low watt amp, mostly for home use. I have a 112 v30 cab, fender duosonic HS and a line 6 m13 and currently a hotone diamond.

The sound I'm mostly after is incubus crow left of the murder album. Good clean with a little crunch to it, not too heavy high gain I think?

Possible candidates for me are the tubemeister 18, though I think it might be to HiFi or sterile from what I hear.. the watt switching and Redbox are big plusses though.

Jet city I was thinking of the 20hv. The others are not very good in the clean department from what I read and I think too heavy for what I'm looking for in the lead department.

Can't try the jet city over here, can only order it from Germany.

Egnater tweaker I'm not sure. More expensive than the other two, and not sure if it's that much better..

Any thoughts?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Re: Tubemeister, jet City or egnater tweaker

I own a Tweaker. I also own an M13, curiously.

Stay away from the Tweaker it if you want anything high gain, or heavy. It can do it, but it's not it's forte. It's just not a modern sounding amp.
    The Tubemeister 18 is a bit sterile for my ears, but my "sterile" could be your "tight, percussive" so you'd better try it out.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

The TM 18 isn't bad, but if your budget will allow a Tubemeister Deluxe 20 that would be the better route.
      sigpic
      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I think the tubemeister is too clean / sterile for me too.

Think of songs from incubus like:
        Megalomaniac
        Southern girl
        A crow left of the murder
        Pistola

Another band I like a lot is the smashing pumpkins and I can see the tubemeister work for that, but I'm really mostly looking for that sound like in the songs I listed above. The jca20hv seems to me like my best bet, or maybe a fender bassbreaker?

Comment

Strong suggestion would be one of the new Jet City JCA22h CUSTOM heads. The overdrive side is likely going to be way to over the top for you but trust me here for what you are describing the crunch side is spot on. Stay away from the normal 22H head as it will likely not have anywhere near the cleans you want. However the Custom version is set up quite differently has one of the best warm gritty Marshal to black face Fender clean channel out there on the OD side. Simply some FANTASTIC tones to be had in this realm in these amps!!!
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I've been looking at that one as well. I thought that it might be too gainy for me and that the jca20hv might get me the same crunch but more options on the clean side?

Comment

Tube Meister Meister Tube FTW!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I was a bit too brief on my Tweaker situation.

I mean, yeah, it can do heavy sounds. But it will need a quality OD pedal in front for that purpose.
                It's not a modern, super tight tone. It's a bit looser and not uber-crisp.

On it's own it gets a bit mushy with really high gain settings, not to mention it doesn't have a footswitch unlike other choices you have.

I can do a decent enough Mastodon impression at reasonable volumes with mine, but a big part of that comes from changing the power tubes -got some EHX 6CA7 in mine- otherwise it's a bit too gentle, compressed and sweet.

Overall it's a solid choice, but is it for you? I don't know. You have too many ideas and we can't sort them out for you.
                You have to get your butt to a guitar store and try them all, Sir.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by arten View Post
                  I've been looking at that one as well. I thought that it might be too gainy for me and that the jca20hv might get me the same crunch but more options on the clean side?

Clean to crunches on these amps is fantastic on the crunch side. Had the 1st gen and would likely agree with you on those but these Custom versions really shine for the type tones you are talking. The OD side is pretty aggressive and was what bought the amp for but the Crunch tones were a huge and very pleasant surprise. Listening to the clip tones you are talking these amps will be hard to beat in anywhere near this price point.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Tubemeister is best for direct recording. The Tweaker has a better feel and a lot of versatility, so I like it better overall. Something about the Tubemeister doesn't feel right unless it's pretty loud and saturated with gain. It's nowhere even in the ballpark as good as it's big brother the Tri-Amp which is really the best amp H&K makes by far. The Jet City 20HV is pretty good, but the Custom 22 is much more comparable to the Tweaker and Tubemeister, and I also like its sound better. I'd say go for a Jet City Custom 22 or Tweaker unless you're recording direct.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      I was a bit too brief on my Tweaker situation.

I mean, yeah, it can do heavy sounds. But it will need a quality OD pedal in front for that purpose.
                      It's not a modern, super tight tone. It's a bit looser and not uber-crisp.

On it's own it gets a bit mushy with really high gain settings, not to mention it doesn't have a footswitch unlike other choices you have.

I can do a decent enough Mastodon impression at reasonable volumes with mine, but a big part of that comes from changing the power tubes -got some EHX 6CA7 in mine- otherwise it's a bit too gentle, compressed and sweet.

Overall it's a solid choice, but is it for you? I don't know. You have too many ideas and we can't sort them out for you.
                      You have to get your butt to a guitar store and try them all, Sir.
                      Egnater Rebel 20 does have the same very smooth overdrive, but adds Watts control that allows adjust compression to some extent. It does have a lot of gain, but I can't say whether or not it can do that modern "tight crisp", because I haven't really tried. I prefer smoother mid-heavier tone. Definitely don't find need for OD pedals with it though.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I've been listening to a lot of YouTube clips (I can't test the Alps, I can only order them from Germany so...

The custom sounds way too high gain to me and not enough options in the clean department.

I'm leaning towards the 20hvvor the bassbreaker at the moment

Comment

I've been listening to a lot of YouTube clips (I can't test the Alps, I can only order them from Germany so...

The custom sounds way too high gain to me and not enough options in the clean department.

I'm leaning towards the 20hvvor the bassbreaker at the moment

Agreed on the clips on line. What you are not hearing however is how really good the cleans are on the amp. I bought it for the gain side so was just expecting a usable sorta clean. What I got floored me for a solid warm fender style clean to a nice gritty vintage Marshall break up these have those tones in spades. However have not yet heard a single clip on line of these amps that shows this. The crunch side of these amps is much lower gain than what I expected having one of teh early JCA22H's. I'm running my gain at around 5 or so and getting a KILLER early stones style bark with my Tele that cleans up very well with touch or a volume roll off. In fact bet it would be REALLY cool to hear my buddy Wayne Perkins play Hand of Fate on this rig with my Tele---need to go hang with Wayne so--.
                          Dead serious my amp will absolutely NAIL these type tones on the Crunch side!!
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM.
                          Guitars

Comment

Any chance you can record a couple of riffs to demonstrate that claim?

Comment

Any chance you can record a couple of riffs to demonstrate that claim?

Understand your situation man let me see if I can get something up over the next day or so. There is absolutely nothing up on line that shows how good these amps cleans to mid level crunch tones are. I was floored when I got mine at the clean side as frankly didn't expect much.
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X