banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange Brent Hinds Terror And 12AT7 questions:To NOS or not to NOS! Plus Friedman PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Brent Hinds Terror And 12AT7 questions:To NOS or not to NOS! Plus Friedman PT

Ok, so I just ordered two, lower wattage, High gain Amplifiers! I’m really excited as I think they will be the perfect compliment to the Marshal TSL60 Head that I’ve modded with nos preamp tubes and new Production Genalex Russian Gold Lion KT77’s

The amps I’ve purchased are a Wildwood Custom Friedman Pink Taco! The other amp I got is an Orange Brent Hinds Terror!

For both of the amp, I got a set of NOS EL84’s, Telefunken’s for the Friedman and Mullards for the Hinds. I noted the Hinds to sound a bit treble heavy...Thought the Mullards could smooth things out a bit!! Also have a bunch of nos preamp tubes to “roll” until things are just right!

What I don’t have, and the reason for this post, is about the 12AT7, which is said to be for the “buffered Effects loop.” Now, I’m not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a Telefunken or the Like, since I don’t know if the 12AT7 will have any effect on the actual tonality of the amp, or if there would just be a difference in how pedal’s would sound when played through the loop! I’m reading up as much as I can, it’s hard to find a straight answer! I’m all about having quality tubes in my amps(Yes, I’m one who can hear a definite tonal difference with nos tubes)

So what have ppl found with other amps w12AT 7’s for “Effects loops?” Any other tone changes When not using the loop?? Thanks in advance for the advice!!
    Jim

Re: Orange Brent Hinds Terror And 12AT7 questions:To NOS or not to NOS! Plus Friedman

I did some testing with 12at7 and hat very different results. I think the there are different factors. For what application do you use it. I tested them as Phase Inverter, as reverb driver and as cathode follower. I had good results as PI with a current Electro Harmonix with big plates, i liked a Mullard as reverb driver and Telefunken Ecc 801 as Cathode Follower.
    Sorry no experiences with a buffered effects loop, but i would start with the EHX.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Re: Orange Brent Hinds Terror And 12AT7 questions:To NOS or not to NOS! Plus Friedman

The Wildwood Taco sounds delicious with stock tubes. I'm very particular about amps... which is why I've had so many. But I've been rocking the WWPT for 2-4 hours every single day since it showed up. Between it and my BE100, I'm as happy with my tone as I've ever been in 34 years.

To each his/her own. If rolling tubes makes you happy, then by all means. But Dave Friedman is an amp genius who voices his amps to sound amazing with current production tubes. I've also had a Smallbox and Dirty Shirley, and never had any desire to play with NOS tubes in them.
      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Nos’d both, and both slay imo!!

Friedman w/a baritone

Going to upload the Hinds tmrw, too late...But I love it too! Wish I had got these from the start instead of wasting money on the Mojotone Deacon...Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s perfect for someone, just definitely not me! I think the nos takes the “best parts” of the amps tones and adds layers of complexity...just my opinion!

I get the thinking of he knows what he’s doing, but its undeniable that 50’ 60’s tubes are better(quality and tone) I imagine what kinda beast he’d make if he did a run of say 10 built with and designed around nos tubes....I think your opinion could change! That’s y they are opinions! We are each entitled to our own! But I think it sounds better to my ears w/the all nos

Comment

Just like my modding of all my guitars pickups could seem crazy...gives me the sound I want, which by nature will be different than others!

Comment

Working...
          X