Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker for a Vox AC4-C1-12

Hi guys!
    I bought this mini valve amp. It came with a V30, it doesn't fit it at all, too "tin-y", almost harsh and lack of low-end.
    The GB is the «classic» choice, and maybe the most spec suitable choice for bedroom player, since it is 25w and 98db.
    But... listening the demos in YouTube I heard most solid and balanced the G12H30 (30w / 100db).
    I have a friend with both speakers and others, I will have the chance to try them all, anyway, I would like to know your opinions. The pros & cons of both. Thanks!

Re: Speaker for a Vox AC4-C1-12

IMO the greenback is nice and crunchy but has less bass than the V30.

The G12h30 is my favorite Celestion. I’d go for it. 75 Hz cone.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-29-2018, 11:06 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      IMO the greenback is nice and crunchy but has less bass than the V30.

The G12h30 is my favorite Celestion. I’d go for it. 75 Hz cone.
      Thanks!

I don't agree about the GB has less bass than the V30, but I do agree about the G12H30 is a great speaker, more balanced...

Once I can try both with the amp I will tell you my impression!
      Last edited by Fhede; 01-29-2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

an ac4 isnt known for having a big bottom end, i might go g12h30 55hz if you want a fuller sound. i have a weber recone that i really like, its not as dark as youd think

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          an ac4 isnt known for having a big bottom end, i might go g12h30 55hz if you want a fuller sound. i have a weber recone that i really like, its not as dark as youd think
          Thanks Jeremy!
          I am not familiar with specs of speakers. How does the 55hz/75hz specs affect? Thnx

Comment

Originally posted by Fhede View Post
            Thanks Jeremy!
            I am not familiar with specs of speakers. How does the 55hz/75hz specs affect? Thnx
            The 55hz cone will have more low end. I'm not aware of any other differences.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Hmmm... for my tastes, I’d definitely want to try an Alnico speaker with that amp - a Celestion Blue (has those in my AC30) or Eminence Red Fang (that’s what I have in my custom Whitney)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Dystrust.
                VinceT, my friend has a Alnico Blue, I tried it with my DR22 clone, it was the best speaker for "overdriven" tones!!! Excellent!!! But since I was looking for a classic Fender tone, I decided to keep my WGS G12C that sounds awesome for "American Vintage Sound" and gives you good overdriven tones too.
                But the VOX AC4-C1-12 is a cheap amp... I am not sure I will like it... so I don't want to spend money on it, just to swap the V30 by a G12H30 or a GB that cost pretty the same.
                Yesterday, a friend of mine lent me a Vox NT15 G2, the "Vintage" channel was quite good, it sounds much better than the AC4, on the other hand, the "Modern" channel, sounds without bass I didn't like it.

Comment

The greenback is nice at low volumes, at high volumes it sounds rather thick and raunchy but maybe a little farty, wooly, and with a sort of vowel-like quality. I too find the g12h30 more "balanced".

Comment

@fuseG4 thanks!
                    I will use it at low volumes, so the GB will be a good choice, if I can't get a G12H30!

Comment

I don't think the Greenback has less bass than the V30 either. And, as much as I like the H30 Anniversary speaker, I do feel it is Celestion's brightest speaker in their catalog. It may not have the strident upper-mid spike of the V30, but it does have a very kinda raspy high-end. Not to say that's bad, but I wouldn't call it a warm-sounding speaker compared to a V30. JMO.

Honestly, if you want fuller, I'd go for a Greenback or a G12EVH which is the same speaker as the Heritage GB, just cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Fhede View Post
                        Thanks Dystrust.
                        VinceT, my friend has a Alnico Blue, I tried it with my DR22 clone, it was the best speaker for "overdriven" tones!!! Excellent!!! But since I was looking for a classic Fender tone, I decided to keep my WGS G12C that sounds awesome for "American Vintage Sound" and gives you good overdriven tones too.
                        But the VOX AC4-C1-12 is a cheap amp... I am not sure I will like it... so I don't want to spend money on it, just to swap the V30 by a G12H30 or a GB that cost pretty the same.
                        Yesterday, a friend of mine lent me a Vox NT15 G2, the "Vintage" channel was quite good, it sounds much better than the AC4, on the other hand, the "Modern" channel, sounds without bass I didn't like it.
                        Understood. The thing for me is that the AC tone (at all wattage levels) is synonymous with alnico speakers. The Night Trains are OK, but they don’t sound the same as the AC circuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X