1 Watt Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Watt Marshall?

I’m looking at a new Marshall DSLCR 1 watt for playing at the house. Will I get that Marshall tone and reliability with this combo amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 1 Watt Marshall?

Shop for the Marshall DSL1CR 1W 1x8 Tube Guitar Combo Amp in and receive free shipping and guaranteed lowest price.

Comment

I had the 1w limited edition DSL that they made in UK. I think the new one is probably the same but made in China or India or wherever. It was a very good amp, and you could get away with it in band practice if your drummer has control of his dynamics. The stock speaker took a while to break in, but once it did, it sounded a lot better. Still, I'd usually disconnect the speaker and plug in a 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30 and it sounded really great. It's probably going to be a great little amp, and it will work at low volumes. However, you've got to understand that just because amps are low wattage, they tend to rely on some volume because they're designed to take advantage of soaking those little tubes. These days, you can get just as good or better tone from a 100w head than many of the low wattage amps out there. I didn't pay too much attention to the specs on the new one, but the UK ones had a little power reduction button and you could get all saturated at very low volume.

Comment

I'd personally much rather have the head. Those small speakers never sound all that great. Even if you're not really getting a 12" working, it'll sound a lot better through one.

I used to have a Randall 5W Diavlo combo. Even though I swapped the speaker for a G10 Greenback, which is a nice speaker as far as 10" speakers go, it never did sound as nice as it being run through a good 12" cabinet.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-30-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I’m a total newb. What’s the difference in a head only vs combo? I’m needing something economical.

Comment

Combo = Combination. Combo is the amp with the speaker/speakers in one cabinet. Head is just the amp in a much smaller cabinet. Requires a separate speaker cabinet.

Comment

1 Watt Marshall?

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
              Combo = Combination. Combo is the amp with the speaker/speakers in one cabinet. Head is just the amp in a much smaller cabinet. Requires a separate speaker cabinet.
              Yep I figured. Which would make a combo more economical. A quick glance at Guitar Center showed a 1 watt Marshall head at $300. The combo I listed above is the combo for $350.

Comment

Yeah, more economical. But it kinda depends on what you think about that 8" speaker (or maybe 8" speakers in general). Does the combo have a speaker out? If so, you could always add an extension cabinet down the road.

Comment

A tad bit irrelevant, but have y'all ever seen that video on YouTube where they compare one 50w Marshall with 50 1w Marshalls? It's pretty funny.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Would y’all recommend the 5W over the 1W.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                      Yeah, more economical. But it kinda depends on what you think about that 8" speaker (or maybe 8" speakers in general). Does the combo have a speaker out? If so, you could always add an extension cabinet down the road.
                      Yes you can add a cabinet later.

Comment

Originally posted by UTGrad View Post
                        Would y’all recommend the 5W over the 1W.

If you want quiet, no. I replaced my 5W Randall Diavlo with a 1W version. It sounds much better at bedroom volumes. Like MUCH better.

5W sound cool if you get them cranking, but for me, it was too loud for bedroom practice. Hell, 1W sounds best at sorta mid to loud-ish TV volumes.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-31-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          If you want quiet, no. I replaced my 5W Randall Diavlo with a 1W version. It sounds much better at bedroom volumes. Like MUCH better.

5W sound cool if you get them cranking, but for me, it was too loud for bedroom practice. Hell, 1W sounds best at sorta mid to loud-ish TV volumes.
                          Thanks man

Comment

The 1 watt and 5 watt appear to be very different amps. I'd try before you buy if possible.

Comment

Get the DSL 15. It has 6V6 tubes and it sounds great, better than the new one with EL84s.

Comment

Working...
                              X