Cab Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab Mods

Could I get a crash course on cab mods? What ways are there to swap speakers (for example, can four different model speakers sound nice in a 4x12 or can different sizes of speakers work in one cab), what mods can be done to the speakers themselves, series/parallel wiring etc.

And one more thing, how come multiple sizes of speakers in the same cab is so uncommon?

I've just about figured out how to mod all other guitar related products, what can be done to cabs?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Cab Mods

I wouldn't think different sizes would work that well due to the drastic difference in resonance,,,,,,but different models,2,3,or 4 kinds isn't uncommon.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...J-S-(very-cool!)

Comment

i have a 1x10/1x12 combo that sounds great but its not a common setup for sure

Comment

I think you have a bit too much spare time there Chris. Not much to do there in Richmond?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          i have a 1x10/1x12 combo that sounds great but its not a common setup for sure
          Please tell more.
          Stock combo or did you mod it that way?

Comment

Cab mods and speaker-model mixing are really good topics because they can have such dramatic tonal impact being the final link in the chain.
            Especially when we talk about home-practice and rehearsal/jamming, we can get big changes by doing things like combining open and closed cabs, ported and closed, model-X 412 mixed with model-Y 212,,,,,ect,.

IMO having a 212 on the floor (no wheels) makes any other taller cab sound better (be it a 412, vertical 212, or another horizontal 212 on wheels).

Mixing different size speakers within the same cab seems like an interesting idea, especially if the chambers were isolated from one another.
            Mesa halfbacks and the newer RK-cabs apply some of those ideas.

Comment

Is there anything you can do to the speakers themselves?
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                Please tell more.
                Stock combo or did you mod it that way?
                i had scott_f build me a 5e7 tweed bandmaster chassis with switchable fixed/cathode bias with a power tranny beefy enough to handle kt66 tubes. i built the box to mount it in. 12" finger jointed pine with lacquer. 12" emi red fang, 10" weber 10a150t. i can run either or both depending what i want. there was a gibson goldtone model that came stock with 1x12/1x10 that was pretty sweet

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                Is there anything you can do to the speakers themselves?
                not really

Comment

Working...
                X