10” or 12” Speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10” or 12” Speaker

I’ve got a 10” speaker in my Vox VT40X. It gets louder than chit in the house but will it work with a band and a drummer?

I’m wondering if I should get the 100 watt Vox VT100X with the 12” speaker.

Will the 12” speaker offer better tones overall? The 10” Vox does sound better than the 8” 20W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 10” or 12” Speaker

I’ve owned a few amps in the past with 10s. Hot Rod DeVilles, Champ XD and another Fender with a 10” (the model escapes me) and I just couldn’t warm up to them. I don’t know why. To me they feel thin and shrill. I loved my HRD with 12s, my VOX AC30CC2, Marshalls. To me 12s are fuller sounding and warmer. IDK. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Two 10’s can work well onstage. So can one 12.

But for me, one 10 doesn’t move enough air onstage.

Of course, if you’re micing it and most of your sound is coming through the PA, that’s different.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I have never played a 1x10 amp that bowled me over. I am not saying they sound bad I have just never played one that blew my socks off. 4x10, on the other hand, is a different story. I have a 4x10 Randell orange stripe that I love. That being said I do have practice amps in the house with 10 inch or less speakers. But they are just that "practice amps" they are a little bit more than a monitor.

Comment

A high quality 10" will give you more definition than a 12" can, just how speakers work.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I have never played a 1x10 amp that bowled me over. I am not saying they sound bad I have just never played one that blew my socks off. 4x10, on the other hand, is a different story. I have a 4x10 Randell orange stripe that I love. That being said I do have practice amps in the house with 10 inch or less speakers. But they are just that "practice amps" they are a little bit more than a monitor.
            Originally posted by justFred View Post
            A high quality 10" will give you more definition than a 12" can, just how speakers work.
            All of this.

In a band on stage - with a bass, drums, etc...a 4 x 10 will punch like a mean donkey on steroids. Tight, clean, crisp, and cuts through like nobody's business.

a 1x10? I'm not loving the stage volume there. You want some stage volume. Unless you are running an Uber-monitor situation like U2 or something.

For practice - 40 watts might or might not hang. Depends on the music, the drummer, the PA etc....I have used my Roland Cube 30, and used it through a monitor only. I am not a fan however. To play out with a group anywhere - 50 watts.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I’ve done plenty of gigs with a full band and just my 22 watt Deluxe Reverb. Been asked to turn it down too.

Mine has a great speaker tho...a Celestion G12H30. Very efficient and louder than the stock speaker.

I’m not playing heavy metal of course.

Mostly blues, r&b, rock and roll...a little jazz.

But it’s plenty loud.

I don’t believe I’ve ever been told to turn up...more often, turn down.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

12's, always 12's....
                I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Just ordered the 100 watt 12” speaker Vox Valvetronix modeler. That should give me the power to jam with a band or just play at the house.

Comment

Originally posted by UTGrad View Post
                    Just ordered the 100 watt 12” speaker Vox Valvetronix modeler. That should give me the power to jam with a band or just play at the house.
                    I think you are on the right track. Good luck with the amp make sure you come back and let us know how you like it.

Comment

A 12 will definitely sound better all by it's lonesome in the house....and it won't sound bad with the band either.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ohhhhh yeaaahh

Comment

Nice! Congrats

Comment

Yep so a nice “upgrade” going to the 12” speaker. There is more “kick” in the lower spectrum that “feels” better.

Comment

Loving the 100 watt! It’s a beast and about 40 lbs. Cabinet has great tones.

Comment

Working...
                              X