banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are some kind of amps hard to play ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are some kind of amps hard to play ?

Some gear just requires you to be a better player to get the goods out of it. Often these kinds of amps and axes reward the effort tho because all the extra sensitivity means you can do more with your fingers.
    Some gear sounds bad no matter how well you play although i am pretty sure a vintage plexi isn't one of them.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      I find all 100 watt amps without a modern master volume control to fall into that hard to play category.

That’s why I use small amps. 20 watts...30 watts when I play my AC30, and that amp is almost too loud for most rooms.
      Something else I have a hard time with is Amps with a hard wired bright cap across the volume control that’s to big and which makes the amp too bright at low to medium volume levels. Plexis are one of those amps. My Deluxe Reverb is another but I modified it with a smaller than stock cap. These days most players use pedals, and pedals through an amp that’s too bright can be really uncomfortable. Not to mention hard on the ears and hard to dial in a sweet tone that’s not too glassy and full of grainy sizzle. Better to have no bright cap at all than one that makes the amp too bright.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

It's also easier to play a loud amp when it's amongst other equally loud, competing instruments. Drums in particular.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
        X