Replacing my JCM-800 combo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my JCM-800 combo.

So, I have a JCM-800 combo amp that I love, when it's working. A 50 Watt, single channel model.

I have a lot of faith in the guy who repaired it, he has been building and repairing amps for a long time, it's his hobby as well as a profession. He's done other stuff for me, and everything has been great. And it worked great for a few months of weekly practice sessions, but it's gone **** up again, and something more horrible than just a blown tube.

Thinking about it, I think that the old JCM is just ready for retirement. I nice cool spot in the corner of the studio, no more trips in the car, no more loading and unloading, no high volume work... (It's also a very nice looking amp in the original red tolex, and I sort of hate to keep moving it around).

I play in a 3 piece rock band, just basic rowdy garage rock played with some finesse.

So, my current plan it to replace it with something similar. (I may go for a head + a 2x12 cab instead of the combo, based on the feedback of the forum on one of my polls a while ago. I do prefer the open back sound, so maybe a Dr.Z cab, but can go that way with any of these brands, so I'll stick to the combo for the comparison here)

The three amps I'm most interested in are the Marshall JVM 205C, the Blackstar Series One/45, and the Dr.Z EMS "Bluesbreaker" Combo.

I like the flexibility of a dual channel setup, but the most important thing is having that sound. The JCM is a single channel and I use it mostly in the "low" input for the all-important crunchy rhythm sound, using a couple overdrives to get signing sustain for solos. It's a pretty low tech approach.

When I've played around with high-gain amps I usually don't like the high-gain channel that much. I like listening to Eddie Van Halen but have no desire to play like him, and don't have the chops to pull off a lot of that sort of stuff. (Again, enjoy listening to people who do, just being realistic here.)

From the videos I've heard of the Marshalls the two best sounds on it (for me) are the clean and crunch rhythm (which aren't foot switchable). So, I might end up using it much the same way at the JCM 800.

The Dr.Z is a single channel, so just find the one that works and carry on.

The Blackstar has what seems like a usable two channel setup, so that's a plus. Minus is I'm not that familiar with the brand.

I'll try to go play all of these, but it will require some driving, as none of the stores around here seem to stock any of them.

Anyone have experience, good or bad with one or more of these please share you opinions.

If you think I'm missing something else, let me know.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: Replacing my JCM-800 combo.

Prices?
    Blackstar Series One 45: $1900 (Possibly these are no longer made or have been replaced with a new model?)
    JVM 205C: $2000.
    Dr Z. EMS $2700.
    Last edited by dr0; 03-27-2018, 05:38 PM.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Which Marshall combo do you have and are you interested in selling or trading it?

Comment

if you really like your amp, then id get it fixed unless its a blown tranny or something. if you want something new, then there are tons of great options these days. that ems looks like a damn nice amp

Comment

The JVM footswitch is programmable so you can set it up to switch between the clean/crunch modes on channel 1. In a similar price range, the Friedman Runt 50 or a Splawn Super Sport 50, or if you want to go affordable the new Marshall DSL40CR with the optional 6 way foot switch allows switching between modes or the new Origin series looks good.
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

The JVM is a very versatile amp. I have the 50 watt version and at first hated it. Then I discovered the more it is used the better it sounds. It's a keeper.

Every now and then I take it out on the deck, crank it up to 11 and play a little AC/DC. It's great! I don't see any squirrels for weeks.

Comment

Find a used Splawn Quickrod....you’ll thank me.

Comment

I have a mint Tuxedo Dr Z 1x12 cabinet for sale if you're interested.
                Last edited by 67Mopar; 03-28-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartibartfast View Post
                  The JVM is a very versatile amp. I have the 50 watt version and at first hated it. Then I discovered the more it is used the better it sounds. It's a keeper.
                  Did you get the head or the combo?

Comment

I have the JVM 215c combo. I don't gig so I'm not sure how it reacts in a band situation. You can pull tons of different tones out of it. It really doesn't require pedals....but I suppose that's personal taste.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I had a JVM 210H...HAD.
                      They do sound really good, but I had some unexplained problems with mine.
                      It would work fine at home but once I got to a gig for some reason it wouldn’t give me any volume on the gain channel just a faint amount. But he clean channel worked fine. And my connections were good....I couldn’t figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                        Find a used Splawn Quickrod....you’ll thank me.
                        Preach the truth brother!!
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I purchased a Splawn Quickrod (2 actually) and could not sell it fast enough. A dry, choked, one dimensional sound. My Splawn modded Marshall was slightly better than the QR. A Marshall JVM will give you exactly what you are looking for, and more. If you want Marshall tone - buy a Marshall.

Comment

^^^^ to each their own but that’s not my experience at all. Everyone and I mean everyone that hears my amp reacts the same..
                            “DUDE...WTF”.....as they pick their jaw up off the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                              I purchased a Splawn Quickrod (2 actually) and could not sell it fast enough. A dry, choked, one dimensional sound. My Splawn modded Marshall was slightly better than the QR. A Marshall JVM will give you exactly what you are looking for, and more. If you want Marshall tone - buy a Marshall.
                              Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              ^^^^ to each their own but that’s not my experience at all. Everyone and I mean everyone that hears my amp reacts the same..
                              “DUDE...WTF”.....as they pick their jaw up off the floor.
                              If I remember correctly, 67Mopar was saying that a Marshall Jubilee was 'his sound'. It's definitely my sound, and I can't say I cared for any of the Splawns I've ever played. It's been a while so I don't remember any specific, just that I wasn't particularly impressed.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X