banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with THR10c or Super Champ XD/X2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with THR10c or Super Champ XD/X2 ?

I'm currently still deciding on the which amplifier to get. At the moment, I'm really interested in either Yamaha's THR10c or Fender's Super Champ XD or 2X.

Tones I'm after:
    that slow soulful modern blues sound, <-- most important
    Stevie Ray Vaughn,
    David Gilmour,
    Gary Moore <-- a bit more on the hi-gain side (Still Got The Blues, Separate Ways)

While the THR10c is more of a niche amp with a focus on blues, does anyone know if it's possible to get a high gain sound out of it by using some sort of pedal so I can get that Gary Moore tone? I do really like the blues sound it creates though. Some of the youtube videos I've seen of this amp are pretty incredible. On top of that, it can directly connect to a sound source and play backingtracks and directly record my session into a DAW on the computer which I can then show others and get some quick feedback and critiques. (still just a newbie)

Super Champ XD/2X on the other hand seems pretty versatile, so i'll be able get both the blues and the Gary Moore sound right out of the box. However, I don't know if its blues sounds are better than Yamaha THR10c's in terms of quality of sound or whether it offers a diverse set of blues tones.

Re: Anyone have experience with THR10c or Super Champ XD/X2 ?

While I don't have much personal experience with the Yamahas, I'm currently in a band with a guy who uses one into the PA. I do have a Super Champ XD, and can tell you that it or the X2 would be a better choice if you ever want to go onstage. The reason being that you would have power tubes, and their distortion and volume, plus a much bigger speaker. When the volume on those amps goes over 6, the power amp starts to distort in a great way that the THR10 won't ever be able to do. It's also a LOT louder at max. It can easily hang with a drummer playing heavy blues.

Besides that, you can find all the tones you mentioned with the SCXD, as well as connect it to a computer. As for the tones recorded into a DAW, that would be up to the user, but the SCXD/X2 is a better AMP.
    Last edited by guitfiddle; 04-09-2018, 07:07 PM.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Re: Anyone have experience with THR10c or Super Champ XD/X2 ?

I've had the super champ xd and I would say you'd want to put a microphone on it in more than a small club with a drummer not hitting too hard.
      But it can do a lot of sounds and the fender tones are great especially the small amp ones

Comment

Working...
      X