EVH 5150 III 50w review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH 5150 III 50w review

After spending a little time with my newest amp I can now offer a brief review.
    I've wanted one of these for years, particularly the 50w model, mainly due to size and cost.
    I found one used locally, and I had recently come into some free money so I paid $300 less than I should have I'm my mind.
    This amp came from a gear hoarding hermit type and it's basically brand new. Plastic still on the two logos and 15 hours max playtime. Footswitch unused and still in it's package and just a quick dust wipe down to make it look new again.
    From what I can tell it's a first run model as it only says 5150 III on the badge. No "Mini" or Fender "F" to be had.

Sound;

Clean GREEN channel: I don't spend too much time here so it's just fine enough for me. Warm, chimey all that crap...

Crunch BLUE channel: Bliss. Hard Rock heaven and Metal magic. Great, wide open midrange, just a pinch of compression. Tight, clear lows and cutting highs.
    The entire gain dial is usable. From AC/DC crunch to VH brownsound to NWOBHM to thrash. Never mind then increased capabilities when a boost pedal is added!

Lead RED channel: Gobs of liquid lava gain. This channel is most reminiscent of my JVM.
    Highly compressed, excessive gain, tight and smooth playability with a more scooped voice.
    I keep the gain at half and that is plenty for modern metal and death metal tones. No boost required.

I haven't been able to really open this amp up asmy new living conditions restrict that. But even at just 1/10 on the volume it's very loud.
    The global resonance dial on the back does a great job fine tuning the lowend thump controlling any boominess. I've found I've been keeping the channel treble low and set the presence just above half.

Great tones so far, I don't think this one is going anywhere anytime soon!

Last edited by Van Noord; 04-23-2018, 07:57 PM.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Re: EVH 5150 III 50w review

Cool. Hope you get to crank it soon. I'm in same boat at work condo. Can't wait to get back to home base for a while. Kapow.

Comment

To crank it up I'll need to bring it to my buddies house...maybe next week when I get a string of days off.

Comment

Perfect. Blow his windows out.
        Ha ! Auto correct changed it to blow his widows out.

Comment

A few observations;

This is mainly a 2 channel amp for me. 2 x high gain sounds. Blue and Red.
          I'm finding I'd like a little more gain saturation on the Blue channel. Just to have the option. So I'll be looking into finding the proper preamp slot and will try some other tubes there.

I had moved the amp across the room and on top of my V30/Vet30 loaded Krank cab and the amp just did not like that cab. I think at higher volumes it would be ok, but at lower volume that big cab made the amp sound thin and brittle compared to what I'm used to.
          So I moved it back onto my trad size Mesa cab and we were back in business.

Next, I found that with the Presence dial up and treble dials lower, the amp sounds really cutting and raspy. Especially on the Red channel. Very cool and very old school 5150 sounding, just smoother and thicker. But.... there is this slight "wheeeeeeeeeeesh" sound that comes with the Presence set above halfway.

So, I turned the Presence down below half, and raised the treble dials. The sound and feel of the amp changed somewhat and it actually started to lean more towards a "Soldano type" high gain tone. Very smooth, clear, thick, dynamic...this is how I'm running the amp now.

I've also ordered some new set screw dials for the amp so a slight cosmetic change will happen eventually too.

Comment

Ok new look coming
            Last edited by Van Noord; 05-12-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I just bought a used one that's being shipped to me. I won’t have it until next week. It’s the latest 6L6 version with the concentric volume & gain knobs for the Green & Blue channels.

I tried one of the first models a few years ago. I went to Guitar Center to buy a Marshall DSL40C but was unimpressed after trying it. They had a 5150 III 50 watt head sitting on the showroom floor with a guitar cable plugged into it. I grabbed a guitar a plugged and WOW, was immediately blown away and I’m a Classic Rock/Pop player.

Fast forward to last week and I see one at a price I can afford. Can’t wait to try it out. Hope it’s as good as I remember.

Comment

Comment

Nice

I picked one up the other day in ivory. Love it

Cranked it up Tuesday night for rehearsal thru my 412MS cab and it sounded great using the Blue channel.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Red and blue for the channels they control I presume?? pretty cool Idea!

Congrats Wattage!!! What were you running? Look forward to a full review! Clippage!!!

Congrats to you too Hoboman! Look forward to your review!!

Im jealous guys!! I want one too!!!
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Sounds like a downright righteous sonic tool.

For that slightly (emphasis on slightly) deficient Blue cannel....there is always shopping for just the right boost and then you might turn down the blue channel, and be back to a three channel amp!

Blue
                      Blue + OD
                      Red

I have came close to going with a 5150 a few times. I love my Mesa, but I could get n with one of those just fine.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        Red and blue for the channels they control I presume?? pretty cool Idea!

Congrats Wattage!!! What were you running? Look forward to a full review! Clippage!!!

Congrats to you too Hoboman! Look forward to your review!!

Im jealous guys!! I want one too!!!
                        So far I've just been using my Trib LP with '59's into it with my PV412MS cab. It's funny but with this amp I can notice the '59 scoop more than any other amp I've used. It's got more than enough mids to balance it out though. I meant to bring my LP with the WLH in it but I grabbed the wrong bag last night. I love the bottom end on the III, I'd like a little more grind ala my Dual Terror but 6L6's just aren't going there. Right now I am running the Blue channel at about 11 o'clock on the gain, the EQ'a are all set to 2 o'clock area, Presence is about 11 o'clock as well and I have the Resonance somewhere between 9-10 o'clock.
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

OK, just got mine. Plugged it into my 2x12 cab loaded with Carvin branded Eminence speakers.
                          Just got done playing it for the last 30 minutes.

I'm going to echo what Van Noord originally posted:
                          "Crunch BLUE channel: Bliss. Hard Rock heaven and Metal magic. Great, wide open midrange, just a pinch of compression. Tight, clear lows and cutting highs."

The clean channel is nice. Have very little breakup. It will do what I need it to do.
                          The Red channel is more gain than I'll ever use.
                          The Blue channel is amazing.

I used to have a Splawn SuperSport that was good BUT I didn't like the compression as you turned the gain up. The 5150 III has has a very Tight low end without the weird compression. The Resonance knob really adds some low end if desired.

Also gets crazy loud. Tons of volume available.

Looking for forward to getting in some more play time with it this weekend.

Here it is with my 2x12 cab and my Marshall DSL20H & Budda SD30.

Comment

A little tip, try turning the presence low or off and boost the gain channel's treble. The amp changes from the typical 5150 gain sound to more of an open, clear Soldano type gain.

Comment

Couldn't get the pics to post so I'm trying a little video:

This is all on the Blue channel. Gain, Volume & Presence are all set around 10:00. Tone controls are all around 12:00.
                              Guitar is a 1986 Gibson SG62 with Dimarzio 36th Annivesary PUs.

Comment

Working...
                              X