banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time out with he Jet City JCA 22H custom gig from HELL!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time out with he Jet City JCA 22H custom gig from HELL!!

Church band gets booked to play a cancer walk, we show up 8 channel Berringer board 2 main cabs 2 mics and NO monitors!! I ran sound at this event years ago for a local sound company we ran a wall of RCF loaded Yourkville cabs and a pair of 2/18 subs killer set of JBL monitors and a few hundred thousand watts of power with a Allen Heath 42x8 so to say I was expecting more would be an understatement. MISRABLE gig struggled with my guitar tone all night and thought it really SUCKED ---that was until I hear my camera recording out front!!
    Now am floored that the tones were really pretty darned good considering I was not miced and running a 1/12 open back cab. Only thing I can figure was the majority of the bite and mids were hitting me so low all I got was the bottom end. The rig was the Jet City head on my Blackstar 1/12 loaded with a WGS Retro 30 I was running a Boss DD7 and a Hardwire Supernatural Verb in the loop and playing my 1993 Carvin DC 127 with an Alt 8.
    Where I was standing the tone was muddy super dark and undefined but out front evidently it was MUCH different so?? Only thing I can think of is the cab was hitting me so low all I was hearing was the bottom end and the highs and mids were missing my ear as my tone was a muddy mushy mess to my ear all night.
    Anybody else ever fight hard all through a gig on stage with your tone then hear a recording from the gig that stuns you??
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-13-2018, 04:29 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: First time out with he Jet City JCA 22H custom gig from HELL!!

Sounds great to me!
    I usually bring a 12” Mackie that I use as a monitor unless I know 100% that I won’t need it.

Comment

It illustrates a point that I have been trying to get through to my band mates for years: without monitors, what you hear from where you are standing when playing is not what it sounds like out front. When you think you sound great, chances are that it's horrible for the audience. When you think that your sound sucks and you can barely hear yourself well enough to play, it probably sounds fine to the audience.
      It's an uphill battle.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        It illustrates a point that I have been trying to get through to my band mates for years: without monitors, what you hear from where you are standing when playing is not what it sounds like out front. When you think you sound great, chances are that it's horrible for the audience. When you think that your sound sucks and you can barely hear yourself well enough to play, it probably sounds fine to the audience.
        It's an uphill battle.

Agreed!! This was one of the absolute worst I have encountered on this though. Really thought my tones absolutely SUCKED here and was floored. I normally have run that 1/12 under a 1/12 combo running the speaker in the combo with it so maybe that was why it sounded SO bad to my ear. Glad I listened to the recording as was about to dump that head on ebay after last night it sounded so bad!!
        Guess I need to spring for a different cab to run with this head!!
        More from the set and my playing was totally uninspired because the tone I was hearing was SO bad but--.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My band has no monitors. We play in either a big room or a small room depending on the time of the year. I have been recording our sessions for years just so I could get some idea as to how it really sounds. The best sounding recordings were always from sessions where the drummer and guitarist/vocalist complained that they could barely hear themselves and that the bass was too loud. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            My band has no monitors. We play in either a big room or a small room depending on the time of the year. I have been recording our sessions for years just so I could get some idea as to how it really sounds. The best sounding recordings were always from sessions where the drummer and guitarist/vocalist complained that they could barely hear themselves and that the bass was too loud. Seriously.

Believe that as have seen the same thing at times over the years. On the stage tone situation wonder if I need to grab a slanted 2/12 like the Marshall anniversary cab I had back in the 1990's or a slanted 4/12 top cab for playing outdoors?? Had this same thing happen running an Avatar 2/12 outdoors with a couple heads so--??
            Last edited by Ascension; 05-13-2018, 07:12 PM.
            Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
              Believe that as have seen the same thing at times over the years. On the stage tone situation wonder if I need to grab a slanted 2/12 like the Marshall anniversary cab I had back in the 1990's or a slanted 4/12 top cab for playing outdoors?? Had this same thing happen running an Avatar 2/12 outdoors with a couple heads so--??
              If a 112 is loud enough for the gig, a combo amp stand does wonders. My small rig is a Marshall Mini Jubilee through an Egnater Rebel 112X loaded with an Eminence Wizard. I usually stack them on a combo amp stand so that the cab is pointed at my upper body instead of my knees.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                If a 112 is loud enough for the gig, a combo amp stand does wonders. My small rig is a Marshall Mini Jubilee through an Egnater Rebel 112X loaded with an Eminence Wizard. I usually stack them on a combo amp stand so that the cab is pointed at my upper body instead of my knees.
                ^ this.

2 words: amp stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  ^ this.

You still need a monitor for vocals.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    You still need a monitor for vocals.
                    No doubt in particular with what I'm playing right now as if you can't hear the lyrics you can't tell whee you are in the song!! Had no idea there would be no real sound system at that event as did sound for them 10 or so years back and we always had a killer system thought they would have still hired a real sound company. They didn't so it was SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE when we got there!!
                    Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                      ^ this.

I have a nice combo stand somewhere here so untill I can get another cab will run it with the jet City where i am not stacking a combo on top of that cab.Been years since I have run a head like that outside on a small cab like that. Feel a WHOLE lot better about the head once i heard the recording though!!
                      Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        No doubt in particular with what I'm playing right now as if you can't hear the lyrics you can't tell whee you are in the song!! Had no idea there would be no real sound system at that event as did sound for them 10 or so years back and we always had a killer system thought they would have still hired a real sound company. They didn't so it was SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE when we got there!!
                        Gotta love those “surprise” gigs. I once turned up to an acoustic gig (multi-act) in a fairly large venue to find NO SOUND SYTEM - my spidey-sense must have been working though, because something made me put my Bose L1 in he car before heading out. I ended up pulling double duty for the night - and never worked with that promoter again.

Comment

Working...
                        X