banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys help me figure out some thing here? Tale of 2 amps and 2 gigs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys help me figure out some thing here? Tale of 2 amps and 2 gigs!

Played 2 out door shows a couple weeks apart.
    One I ran the Zinky on stage with my Blackstar 1/12 under it running the WGS retro 30 speaker in the combo with the WGS ET 90 in the combo.

The other i ran the Jet City JCA22H head on the Blackstar cab here.

With the Zinky rig the on stage tones were GREAT and inspiring. With the Jet City I fought tone all night it was just muddy flubby and nasty and the on stage amp tones flat SUCKED!!!
    On the 1st gig we had a MUCH better system and on the 2nd gig there were no monitors but my out front tone was better on that 2nd gig IMO so whats up??
    Is it just that the 1/12 cab was firing under me and i was not really hearing the rig while the Zinky was closer to ear level or what??
    Same recorder in my Zoom Q3HD but I had a different mic level setting so the Jet City clip is much louder still???
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-13-2018, 08:18 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Guys help me figure out some thing here? Tale of 2 amps and 2 gigs!

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    Is it just that the 1/12 cab was firing under me and i was not really hearing the rig while the Zinky was closer to ear level or what??
    That would be my guess.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Here is the 2nd clip with the Jet City just using the 1/12 cab.

Wonder if I need to grab a 4/12 or a slanted 2/12 cab for out doors with a head??
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Well, unless you are a grasshopper, you don't have ears in your knees. Someone suggested a combo stand. That or a slant cab. Or one of those vertical 2x12's with the slanted top section.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

do you ever use a tilt back stand? I dont gig without tilting my amp anymore. It means you can hear yourself and your nuances better and you also dont play too loud because of it. Better for you, better for your bandmates, better for the audience.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            do you ever use a tilt back stand? I dont gig without tilting my amp anymore. It means you can hear yourself and your nuances better and you also dont play too loud because of it. Better for you, better for your bandmates, better for the audience.
            Have 2 on hand. However using a tilt back stand here would have killed the tone out front as i was running un miced.
            Tones out front for what we were running were pretty good it was me that couldn't hear my guitar on stage.

Am looking for something like the old Marshall Silver Ann 2/12 slant cab I had back in the 90's to run under this head.
            Guitars

Comment

My amp (when I use one live) always goes though the PA, and so I don't need it behind me competing with the PA. I have it on a tilt-back stand facing straight up at me (like a monitor, because that is exactly what it is). It makes for a cleaner PA sound, and I can hear it a lot better.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                My amp (when I use one live) always goes though the PA, and so I don't need it behind me competing with the PA. I have it on a tilt-back stand facing straight up at me (like a monitor, because that is exactly what it is). It makes for a cleaner PA sound, and I can hear it a lot better.
                Normally I would but here had no choice. Expected a full PA but we got a Berringer 8 channel head no monitors so had to punt big time. In years past had been the sound engineer at this event. We normally ran a 42x8 Allen Heath rack full of big crowns a wall of RCF loaded Yorkville cabs nice set of JBL monitors so huge surprise when we got there!
                Last edited by Ascension; 05-16-2018, 09:59 AM.
                Guitars

Comment

At the first gig with the good pa, did you run guitars in your monitor?

Comment

Working...
                  X