Deal on ENGL Fireball 60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal on ENGL Fireball 60?

My buddy has gone through a number of amps the last few years, and most recently he picked up the Fireball 60 head. True to form, he played it for a few months and decided it's not for him.

So he's offering the head + footswitch to me for $600 CAD.

I've had my Mark IV for 10 years now, and still love it. I keep finding new tweaks and tones to keep me going, but this ENGL offer seems too good to pass up especially considering how pricey those amps tend to be here.

Is this a steal? How versatile is it, really? I'm aware it's geared toward rock/metal and that's fine with me as long as it can do decent low-to-mid gain sounds as well. My original music is progressive heavy rock (Rush, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Karnivool, Tool, older Muse), and we play cover gigs spanning classic to modern Rock both heavy and lighter.

How would you compare its texture and gain sound to the likes of a 5150, JCM800 2204, the Mesa Marks, or similar?

I searched here and around the web and opinions seem divided, so any fresh takes or other sage advice is welcome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Metalman_666; 05-19-2018, 08:27 AM.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Deal on ENGL Fireball 60?

I think it's a good price, but the FB60 isn't quite as revered as other Engl amps. Common complaint with the FB60 being the lack of cutting midrange. Combine that with a relatively quiet 60w power amp and players were often struggling to be heard in a full band context.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Re: Deal on ENGL Fireball 60?

Stay away. You would find the fireball as a rather stiff and cold metal machine, lacking on the low-mid gain department. Your Mesa dances circles around it! In Europe Engl's reputation is not that good, I have found it very hard to sell my Screamer head for silly prices. Although it's a very good hard rock machine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X