Partially Loaded 4x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partially Loaded 4x12?

OK..I have two EV12l''s. i can't afford two more- plus they are massive heavy speakers and might stress the cabinet. I have a 4x12 Marshall cabinet just collecting dust. I can put two cheap speakers unwired in the two empty slots and just run both EV's at 16 OHMs in a criss cross pattern. Anybody got any experience with such a set up, and if it would sound alright?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Partially Loaded 4x12?

Well, it certainly shouldn't sound bad. The two cheap unwired speakers will just act like passive radiators. I would do them in an x pattern.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Just install the 2 in opposite corners & have an oversized 2x12

Comment

Well, the empty speaker holes would certainly be ports. But don't you think that they could be too big? I know that there is a science to properly porting a cab. But I don't know it in depth.

Comment

I just recalled that EV12l's work in open enclosures, it would probably act more like an open back cabinet without the pressure of all 4? ( even with the dummy speakers sealing the two open speaker..er ..openings , so I think there wouldn't be an issue maybe.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

It would sound more open-back than ported left empty, and all closed-back if sealed with the dummies.
            If sealed it will sound very close to how it's intended, but since you already have the pair of EV I'd be looking to do the speaker mix thing.

Comment

A 4x12 with only two speakers is what is called a detuned cab. Google it, it's been done many times for many years.
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                A 4x12 with only two speakers is what is called a detuned cab. Google it, it's been done many times for many years.
                But does it mean that you leave the holes open?

Comment

The "detuned" cab will sound basically as if you had a mic in front and in back of an open cab.
                  Or another way to put it; It's like running a pair of open 212s but one of them is turned backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    But does it mean that you leave the holes open?

Yep
                    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                      Been really interested since I read about that. I have a pair of g12h30's and only 1x12 currently. Was thinking about building a pair for it but don't really have time... For 2x12 I'd prefer vertical... And every option I run across is really expensive...

Detuned 4x12 seems like best option. And supposedly it's not bad for tone either? Any experience or opinion how g12h30 might work in there?
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                      X