New speaker day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New speaker day!

Dropped a new set of WGS Retro 30's in my old mid 1980's Fender 2/12 cab today and WOW!!
    So far have had the stock Eminence set plus a set from Genz Benz Gflex, Celestian Vintage 30's, Heritage 30's, 75's and a pair of 70/80's + a set of WGS Vet 30's and a few more in this cab. This is the first time I have ever been really happy with the tones of this cab in all these years. Just a home run with these speakers in this particular cab! Some were to bright and edgie and with it being an oversized closed back cab some were too flubby and woofie on the bottom but these Retros sound amazing in this cab!! Works well with all my amps so far and that is by itself amazing. In particular the little Jet City REALLY seems to work well with this set up! I have liked the Retros a lot from the start and now wonder why it took me so long to try a set of these speakers in this cabinet!!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: New speaker day!

A few months ago I bought an unloaded Marshall cab from a guy on CL for $50. I threw in a combo of WGS Vet 30/ET-65. Great setup for my Blackstar.
    A little too upper midrange-y for the Splawn.
    For the price, WGS makes great speakers.

Comment

what is the retro 30 based off?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        AFAIK, it's a tweaked Veteran 30, so it's still losely based on the Vintage 30. It's got more sizzly highs than the Veteran 30, so it's more lively, but it hasn't got the upper-mids of the Vintage 30.

Comment

Awesome! I've heard a lot of great things about WGS speakers. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            According to WGS:
            "The 12” Retro 30™ speaker is a brighter and more articulate version of the WGS Veteran 30™ speaker. The Retro 30™ also boasts deeper and tighter bottom end. This speaker is extremely versatile and comes alive on the dirty channel."
            And: "The 12” Veteran 30™ speaker from WGS is tonally superior to Celestion's™ Vintage 30™ speaker. The tonal improvement is in the upper-mids. The Veteran 30™ speaker has smoothed out the upper-mid "spike" notorious in the Vintage 30™ speaker."

I have one paired with a Reaper HP in a 2X12 and am pleased with this combination.

Comment

Working...
            X