• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tungsol 6L6GC STR

No, unless you just get lucky.

Comment

You'll need to find vendors that select within the fixed-bias range for Dual Rectifiers.

Comment

Obviously having adjustable bias is ultimately more flexible, but one neat thing about their fixed system is that by simply choosing the pairs with correct plate-voltage it allows many different tube-types to be slapped right in and tried without having to re-bias for every change. (dougstubes can select "mesa proper" kt88,kt77,e43L,ect., you just must make sure to set the bias-switch accordingly.

One thing I don't see much though, and I've always wondered why given how experimental people are with tubes these days, is guys mixing Mesa's own 6L6 varieties withing the same amp, like one pair of str440 with a pair of their 5881, or the older 430 with the 440. I still have a quad of their 420s from the late 90s that are a bit rounder and richer in the mids, probably more like the 5881/425,. I bet they would be great with the 440s.
        Last edited by dave74; 06-25-2018, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Like I said in your other thread,

Rectos are cathode biased. It's a sort of fixed bias that allows for more of a range of "heat" than a standard fixed bias, like you'd find in alot of Peavey amps. But you can't throw any ol' power tubes in there. If you want to try something other than Mesa tubes, just call up one of the major tube retailers, such as The Tube Store, Tube Depot, Doug's Tubes, Euro Tubes, ect, and tell them you need tubes selected for your amp. They select power tubes for cathode and fixed bias amps all the time and can hook you up.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Mesa's fixed-bias does allow for some range within it's window.
            Their color-code system is setup from hot to cold but you can combine pairs of any color within the same amp, so long as you maintain inner/outer correspondence.

I like the color green, so whenever I order Mesa output tubes I request they all be green, and so far they've always been able to deliver. Greens also happen to be in the middle of their window, but most "tone guys" would probably opt for whatever color is the hottest-running.

Comment

This is a good read if nothing else.

Comment

I got the go ahead from guys on Marshall forum & Boogie Board so i ordered the quad.

We'll see what happens, thanks to those the chimed in.

Ive dealt with Tube Depot for years.

Not a fan of Dougs or Eurotubes.

Ive bought Tungsol EL-34's from this ebay seller with good results, they're closely matched, it should work.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-25-2018, 03:53 AM.

Comment

As long as you're telling tube depot they are for the rectifier.
                  "Closely matched" pairs or quads simply means closely matched to each other, which isn't the same as being within Mesa's bias setting range.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                    As long as you're telling tube depot they are for the rectifier.
                    "Closely matched" pairs or quads simply means closely matched to each other, which isn't the same as being within Mesa's bias setting range.
                    The Mesa range is pretty broad. The Mesa Sovtek 6L6WXT+ i have in there now are green & bias very cold. 70% dissapation would be 51ma or so and they're at 31ma.
                    The Mesa color codes are basically a matching system for sets of tubes from everything ive read.
                    Many people run other than Mesa tubes in their Boogies.
                    If MESA carried a matched quad of the Tungsols i would have snagged them but they don't.
                    That has to do more with tube vendor supply marketing than the specs of the amps.
                    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-25-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I love tube depot. They are my go-to.
                      Plus if you leave a review when they send you the email you get a code for 10% off your next purchase.

Comment

The tube vendor messaged me he would send me a matched quad specifically for MESA amps.

Thanks for all that helped !

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                          The tube vendor messaged me he would send me a matched quad specifically for MESA amps.

Thanks for all that helped !
                          Just be careful. eBay tube vendors are hit and miss. He could very well send you the tubes with specs that will have the tubes bias within range for a mesa, but if he is inexperienced with the amps or was just telling you what you needed to hear to be sold that would not be uncommon.
                          So definitely when you throw them on there, look and make sure the plates don't turn red or that they are not giving a cold, harsh tone.
                          Years ago I got a Weber bias probe that goes between the tube socket and multimeter, something to check the current your tubes are drawing would be advisable. Then you could know straight away, the new tubes should draw around the same mA as the old ones

Comment

I bias my own amps i will be using a Compu-bias. This vendor is familiar with my needs. I should be fine, ive bought several matched quads with no issues from him before.

It pays to be a tube snob ...

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                              Just be careful. eBay tube vendors are hit and miss. He could very well send you the tubes with specs that will have the tubes bias within range for a mesa, but if he is inexperienced with the amps or was just telling you what you needed to hear to be sold that would not be uncommon.
                              So definitely when you throw them on there, look and make sure the plates don't turn red or that they are not giving a cold, harsh tone.
                              Years ago I got a Weber bias probe that goes between the tube socket and multimeter, something to check the current your tubes are drawing would be advisable. Then you could know straight away, the new tubes should draw around the same mA as the old ones
                              +1 on the bias probe.
                              I have the Eurotubes one. Makes it all very easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X