Not loving my tone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not loving my tone...

Do you have a meter so you can just set the bias yourself? If not just pick up an inexpensive one from the hardware store and learn how to do it yourself and save a lot on money. Than you can change the bias yourself and test out different setting setting and see how you like them. I believe I have mine set to 37.

As for setting I cruised around the web and found the below ones and tested them just to see how they sounded and also if they were close to what I wanted I could try my own tweaks.

And I do not believe you need pedals on this amp to get the sound you are looking for though. But I do have two I use sometimes. One I cannot remember what it is and the other is a SoloDallas Schaffer Replica.

If you want some reading on this amp go here and have fun:
    Index to this thread here: Side Handle Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread Gut Shot Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread C19 Cap Mod Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread ClassicTone OT Replacement...

The below setting are volume to taste that I grabbed looking around:
    Gain “lead 2” at 9
    Gain “lead 1” under 4
    treble to 3
    bass at 6
    mids to 7-8,
    resonance to 3

——————————

Lead 2
    Bass @7
    Treb @ 3
    Mid @8
    Pres @3
    Res @8
    Gain @~1.5 on Lead 2)
    volume over 2

————————-
    Clean:

Classic Gain - Clean mode
    Gain - 6 (7 on the solo)
    Treble - 3
    Mid - 4
    Bass - 6
    Presence - 6
    Resonance - 6

Low Gain:

Classic Gain - Crunch mode
    Gain - 6
    Treble - 5
    Mid - 7
    Bass - 2
    Presence - 5
    Resonance - 3
    ———————————
    Mid

Ultra Gain - Lead 1 mode
    Gain - 4
    Treble - 2
    Mid - 5
    Bass - 5
    Presesnce - 5
    Resonance - 5

High

Ultra Gain - Lead 2 mode
    Gain - 8
    Treble - 7
    Mid - 4
    Bass - 4
    Presence - 7
    Resonance - 8
    ———————————-

Comment

sounded like a microphonic v1 if it does it both channels at that kind of volume, but could be any tube shared by both channels. Combo amps can be absolute torture on preamp tubes, tiny vibrations from the speaker directly run through all the tubes more than in a head amp, as parts inside the tube vibrate that ends up as a screaming squeal.
      take something like the eraser end of a pencil and *gently* tap each tube. A good tube sounds like a dull, quiet thud. If one makes a big amplified pop and/or rings metallically, it's got something inside the tube that is loose, and it should be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        The first preamp position has the most effect on gain/tone. It sounds like it may need a trip to a tech too based on what you said about the noise when you turn up the clean channel.

On a side note, how do you like the Chapman BEA?
        The Bea is amazing! I'm looking at replacing the bridge pickup with a pegasus, but the stock pickups are really good. I just want to make it my own.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
          sounded like a microphonic v1 if it does it both channels at that kind of volume, but could be any tube shared by both channels. Combo amps can be absolute torture on preamp tubes, tiny vibrations from the speaker directly run through all the tubes more than in a head amp, as parts inside the tube vibrate that ends up as a screaming squeal.
          take something like the eraser end of a pencil and *gently* tap each tube. A good tube sounds like a dull, quiet thud. If one makes a big amplified pop and/or rings metallically, it's got something inside the tube that is loose, and it should be replaced.
          I'm bringing it to a tech in the next couple of days to have it looked at. I'd like to buy as few tubes as possible lol, I'm ordering a shop floor custom so I need enough dough to fund it.

Comment

Originally posted by Exojam View Post
            Do you have a meter so you can just set the bias yourself? If not just pick up an inexpensive one from the hardware store and learn how to do it yourself and save a lot on money. Than you can change the bias yourself and test out different setting setting and see how you like them. I believe I have mine set to 37.

As for setting I cruised around the web and found the below ones and tested them just to see how they sounded and also if they were close to what I wanted I could try my own tweaks.

And I do not believe you need pedals on this amp to get the sound you are looking for though. But I do have two I use sometimes. One I cannot remember what it is and the other is a SoloDallas Schaffer Replica.

If you want some reading on this amp go here and have fun:
            Index to this thread here: Side Handle Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread Gut Shot Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread C19 Cap Mod Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread ClassicTone OT Replacement...

The below setting are volume to taste that I grabbed looking around:
            Gain “lead 2” at 9
            Gain “lead 1” under 4
            treble to 3
            bass at 6
            mids to 7-8,
            resonance to 3

——————————

Lead 2
            Bass @7
            Treb @ 3
            Mid @8
            Pres @3
            Res @8
            Gain @~1.5 on Lead 2)
            volume over 2

————————-
            Clean:

Classic Gain - Clean mode
            Gain - 6 (7 on the solo)
            Treble - 3
            Mid - 4
            Bass - 6
            Presence - 6
            Resonance - 6

Low Gain:

Classic Gain - Crunch mode
            Gain - 6
            Treble - 5
            Mid - 7
            Bass - 2
            Presence - 5
            Resonance - 3
            ———————————
            Mid

Ultra Gain - Lead 1 mode
            Gain - 4
            Treble - 2
            Mid - 5
            Bass - 5
            Presesnce - 5
            Resonance - 5

High

Ultra Gain - Lead 2 mode
            Gain - 8
            Treble - 7
            Mid - 4
            Bass - 4
            Presence - 7
            Resonance - 8
            ———————————-
            I'll check those setting out, thanks!

Comment

So far I'm digging the pedal through the clean channel at a higher volume. Still getting some weird noises from time to time though. I'm going to have a tech install and bias the JJ's I have coming in, so that should improve the noise problems at least. If it's too hot like Ken said it would make sense, it does sound a bit mushy. I'll see if I like the Mesa tube in the V1, but I can play around with pre tubes later on. I like the drive channel for rock stuff, but when I try and play metal it just doesn't work for me. Hopefully this'll improve that. I don't have a problem just using the OD on the clean though, it sounds really nice. I treat it like a preamp kind of.

Comment

Working...
              X