Laney LX15 vs Marshal MG15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney LX15 vs Marshal MG15

Which one do y'all think is the best? I'll be using my on pedals. Also I play everything from blues to classic rock to metal. Thanks for any help.

Re: Laney LX15 vs Marshal MG15

Dunno about the laney,
    but I have an older MG15 CDR and I never use it with pedals I just crank the clean channel all the way, it has a fizzy brightness to it but there are OK sounds in there for a practice amp.
    If the goal is home practice, you could do worse, but could also do better.
    It sounds pretty reminiscent of a marshall until you put it next to a real one that's dialed in, your mileage may vary with pedals, don't go for too much boost/overdrive as the amp will get really mushy and congested and noisy very fast.

Comment

Thank for the information FuseG4. I have all of my equipment set up in my so-called "music room" upstairs. And I was just looking for something REAL small to play downstairs. I would probably practice a little more also. I even found a Marshal valvestate 10 at a local pawn shop for $70, but I really didn't know anything about them either.

Comment

I'm not sure about the valvestate 10, but the MG15 is certainly fine for your purpose but both are practice amps from the days before modeling took off,
        I got the older MG15 for my brother as a gift when he started learning (the MG15 CDR was the practice amp of the lead character in a show he liked). He didn't keep learning so he gifted the amp back to me. Mine has a real spring reverb tank which is nice, you can kick the amp and it makes a wild CRASH

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_123656.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	5808747
          Here's mine, not sure how old it is I wanna say between 2004 -2008. It has a headphone out which I have used at night and it's withstood several loud jams and being thrown in the trunk
          and for metal a tube screamer works better than I thought it would for tightening the fizzy gain
          Last edited by FuseG4; 06-27-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]90750[/ATTACH]
            Here's mine, not sure how old it is I wanna say between 2004 -2008. It has a headphone out which I have used at night and it's withstood several loud jams and being thrown in the trunk
            and for metal a tube screamer works better than I thought it would for tightening the fizzy gain
            You realize if you flipped your gear and used the proceeds at a pawnshop or on craigslist to procure Japanese axe and something like a Valveking or some other cheap tube amp, it'd blow your mind.....right???
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by smitty302 View Post
              Which one do y'all think is the best? I'll be using my on pedals. Also I play everything from blues to classic rock to metal. Thanks for any help.

If you dont want tubes, get a Peavey Vypyr. Especially if you play a bunch of different stuff.

The marshalls are pretty sad.
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I gigged with an MG30 once. It's way better to put a dirt pedal in the clean channel than using the amp's distortion.

I'm guessing the 15 and 30 share the same gain circuit, so there you go.

I'd recommend anything, and I do mean ANYTHING with a 12 inch speaker over the MG15.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                  You realize if you flipped your gear and used the proceeds at a pawnshop or on craigslist to procure Japanese axe and something like a Valveking or some other cheap tube amp, it'd blow your mind.....right???
                  That's cute that you just assumed not only that an MG15 is like my only amp, but that also that somehow cheap tube amps like a valveking would blow my mind.
                  My main amp is a Fender Supersonic 22, so I'm doing ok.

Comment

Working...
                  X