Vox night train 15 vs 50 watts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox night train 15 vs 50 watts

I'm in the process of ditching my murieffects processer for an old fashion valve amp. I have my eye on the VOX night train. I am wondering if I should go for the 15 watt head or 50 watt head. My concern is A. Will 15 watts play small to medium gigs and be heard without being miced and B. Will 50 watts have to be cranked to deafening levels to get the natural break up in after. My band is a retro rock/ stoner metal band so I don't play a whole lot of clean, what clean-ish tones I employ I accomplish though pick attack and volume control...so having a sparkly clean tone is not a concern of mine. Thoughts?
    sigpic the Perfect stack is a good combo on a stand

Re: Vox night train 15 vs 50 watts

The 50 watts is EL 34 driven so that may have to crancllnked up when on 50 watts mode, I have the 15 watt version and it is quite loud.Without a mic and in front of 50-100 people should not be a problem.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

Comment

You want the 50w for that genre. 15w lack the low end for any respectable heavy tone.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The real volume from the amp in the night train 15 is on thick mode which is kinda a one trick pony. Honky and well, thick. But yes the amp does not have a ton of bass, if you need loud cleans they will be dirty, and it can be a little harsh sounding. That was my gripe with the night train,I had the first version. It was harsh until you wound it up and then it was often too ice picky or too honky. I tried different tubes but what really helped was getting a Marshall.
        I owned the 15 and the matching cab for a year though and it sounds very vox but I find ac15 to be much more refined

Comment

Stoner Metal with 15 watts is a bit of a stretch, even with a 4x12.

You'll dig the extra bass, punch and headroom of a higher wattage head. I own a 15 watts head and I love it, but my thing is more Southern Rock with overdriven chords than chugga chug chug Stoner Metal like Mastodon or something, so it works for me.

I'd go with the 50 if I was you.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
          X