Fender Mustang II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Mustang II

Hey! I was wondering what would be a good medium cost speaker upgrade for my first amp (it is now one of many and only gets cleaned and taken care of, not played).

My first thoughts were maybe a used Jenson or Celestion. All I’m wanting is something better than the stock speaker. I believe it’s the first edition and I know it’s 40 Watts.

I’m looking to stay below $80. I have an old Celestion 70/80 laying around as well as an old Jenson C12. But I don’t minding experimenting.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fender Mustang II

IIRC the mustang II has a bunch of models right?

The challenge with a speaker upgrade is that the models are designed taking into account a “neutral” speaker like the one it ships with.

What models do you use the most? Based on that I would go British or American and for that budget I’d likely go Eminence.

And what kind of music do you play?

But definitely try what you already have first.
    Last edited by Blille; 07-05-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Re: Fender Mustang II

Originally posted by Blille View Post
      What models do you use the most? Based on that I would go British or American and for that budget I’d likely go Eminence.

But definitely try what you already have first.
      When I first started I used the American amp models, but now I would probably use the British or medium distortion models. I’ll pop that 70/80 in there sense it has the sound of a congested nasal cavity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have Mustang I, modded in to a head. Still use it as practice amp and all sorts of stuff. Here's some of my findings:

1) Hook it in the computer and try out different cab sims, and without them as well. Personally I'm using it with half open back 1x12 with Eminence Legend V12. That combination sounds by far the best without any cab sims.

2) British models in it are not very good. At least I haven't found none of them useful. For a medium distorted to heavy modern sounds American 90's pretty good.

The "gem" tones out of that amp I've found are the Deluxe Reverb, Bassman and Twin models. All work in their respective way for cleans, but they do everything when set up right.

For Fuzzy distorted sounds I have the distortion added in Fuse for Bassman model. Deluxe reverb with distortion added brings in awesome fluid lead. Gain at 10 or close (Amp gain of course...)

For medium to classic rock tones I just dial in suitable amount of gain from those two models.

Don't get stick on the names of models...
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Texas heat.
          American style, but nice thick mids.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
          X