NAD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD...

Yesterday was "new" Friedman day. Picked-up a nice, used Friedman Buxom Betty. I've been moving away from higher gain amps lately, preferring boutique Fender-style amps. This is my sixth Friedman amp. Started with a regular Pink Taco head, then a Smallbox 50, then Dirty Shirley 40, then a Friedman BE100, then a Wildwood Edition Pink Taco head (what a friggin little BEAST!), and now the Betty. All were awesome amps. I've just been more in Fender mode lately. I use my Friedman Dirty Shirley, Fulltone OCD, and Bogner Harlow pedals for varying levels of compression, crunch, and gain.

The Betty is such a great sounding amp. One of the best glassy cleans I've ever had. Right there with my Tone King Metropolitan that it's pictured next to. These are the best cleans I've ever had between these two amps. Some other great clean amps (or channels) that I've had were a Peter Straub one-off custom head, Sweetwater Fender Deluxe FSR, Fender Twin, Fender Supersonic Twin 2x12, Bogner EL34 Shiva, Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk I, and maybe my Bogner XTC Classic. All of those amps qualify as the clean amps or channels of note in my amp history. Every amp listed has stood above the cleans on other amps that I've owned (many of which have been long forgotten). My Splawn Quickrod, VHT Pitbull UL, Engl Powerball II, and some other heads had decent cleans, but nothing that excited me to play clean. I list all of these amps for context, in terms of what I'm comparing the Buxom Betty (and Metropolitan) to.

I've had the Tone King for several months and right now, my impressions of the Buxom Betty are very similar. The Tone King has a power-scaling feature, and a channel that's got Tweed voicing (that I never use). So it's technically more versatile, but not how I use it. The Betty is LOUD... so I've been keeping the volume at 8:00 or below. That's where the Metro has it beat so far. It's more usable volume-wise, and it's easier to haul because it's a lightweight 1x12 combo. Only time will tell ultimately how I feel about the Friedman versus the Tone King. But right now I definitely feel blessed with a dearth of great clean tones between the two. Both take my OD pedals like champs. I plugged my Schecter USA Traditional strat and early 80s Ibanez Artist semi-hollow into both amps yesterday and was able to generate so many great tones... from Eric Johnson (clean and lead), so ACDC "Back in Black", to The Darkness, to a bunch of country stuff ala Brad Paisley. So I'm definitely not limited in the variety of tones that I can generate with the help of pedals. Since I've owned so many great channel-switchers over the years, I would not be willing to settle for sub-par crunch and lead tones. And I haven't settled at all. Which is why I let the last two Friedman amps go. Switchers are great, but I'd just rather start with a pure, clean tone and go from there to get my various tones these days.

I haven't tried programming some great patches on my Line 6 Helix LT modeler yet, and running it into either of these amps (without cab modeling). But it's something that I want to try. So far I've only been running my Helix direct, but I have a feeling that with some time and tweaking, I can get some damn cool stuff with it. Especially if I run it stereo out to these two amps. I want to try to get some convincing high-gain tones using the Helix into these amps... just for the getting-rare day when I feel like playing some Alter Bridge, Lacuna Coil, or some drop-tuned metal piece or something. If it doesn't work well, I get some great high-gain tones just going direct from the Helix.

"Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: NAD...

How does the Betty compare to the Shirley?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Dave makes great amps but is a bit challenged when it comes to names.

I have a Friedman modded JMP but must say i get weird reactions when saying "Brown Eye" & "Hairy Brown Eye".

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        How does the Betty compare to the Shirley?
        Other than being awesome, and having Dave's name on it... there really is no comparison IMO. The Shirley is classic 70s-80s Marshall JMP and JCM grind, whereas the Betty is fat, but glassy Fender clean. It's so loud that I dunno what kind of volume you'd have to get it to, to even get some sort of crunch happening. The Shirley does clean-up beautifully with the guitar's volume though (as all of Dave's amp do). It retains the sparkly, shimmery, glassiness when the guitar's volume is rolled-off. For a single channel amp without pedals, it doesn't get any more versatile or better than the Shirley, or maybe a Metropolous amp. The Shirley will do some higher-gain hard rock stuff (though it's huge sounding and doesn't get tight like the BE and other amps do). But you can roll the volume off and get way cleaner to (though I wouldn't say country clean).

Ultimately, if I had a head with a Shirley for one channel and a Betty for the other... I'd be all set. I have a friend who sent his Shirley into Dave to have that exact mod done, but I haven't tried his amp yet. He's had a lot of great amps and that seems to be the amp that's most likely to stick around. He's a similar age to me and has similar tastes. His amp can do anything from country to hard rock. Doesn't get more versatile than that. My BE100 could do all of that too, but the cleans weren't as pristine and glassy as I wanted. I'd thought about sending the BE into Dave to have him mod the clean channel to be the Betty's. He said that he could do that, but I decided to keep it pure and just get a Betty.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

I was fortunate enough to play through a BE100 and matching 4x12 cab... Holy crap it was badass!

If I had the 4-5k to own one...

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd rather have 3 vintage Marshalls for the price he charges for one head but i respect his work.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              I'd rather have 3 vintage Marshalls for the price he charges for one head but i respect his work.
              Only my Smallbox was bought new. The other five were purchased used, for prices that would compete with the cost of a vintage Marshall. A vintage Marshall is like a vintage Ferrari... might take a little work/money to get one tuned-up. A slightly used Friedman (or Metro) is a new or slightly used Ferrari... it's ready to rock out of the box. And it's probably more versatile. Dave's amps aren't cheap, but they're worth it. I've owned cheap tube amps (Peavey Classic 50, Egnater Tweaker 15 and Rebel 20, etc) and I've owned boutiques... you generally get what you (or the guy before you) paid for.

I would say though that the JCM2000 DSL 50 and 100 heads are a sweet spot in Marshall-flavored amps. I got my 50 for about $450 used and it was a great little amp... especially with my OCD slamming the dimed green channel. Was husky and roared like my 2203. No decent cleans there, but I didn't buy it for those. Another sweet spot is used Splawns. I paid $850 for my Quickrod halfstack and no other amp I've ever had has come close per dollar spent as that rig. Except the Tone King combo, that I bought for $700 used. Two best amp deals I've ever had. So yeah... you can get into boutique amps cheaply if you watch and wait. My music store buddy hooked me up with the TK, but I bought my Splawn 140 miles away from a store who didn't know me at all.
              Last edited by Red_Label; 07-17-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Dave makes great amps but is a bit challenged when it comes to names.

I have a Friedman modded JMP but must say i get weird reactions when saying "Brown Eye" & "Hairy Brown Eye".
                Interesting table top...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Sweet!
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

From the description, I'd *really* like the Betty....
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                      Only my Smallbox was bought new. The other five were purchased used, for prices that would compete with the cost of a vintage Marshall. A vintage Marshall is like a vintage Ferrari... might take a little work/money to get one tuned-up. A slightly used Friedman (or Metro) is a new or slightly used Ferrari... it's ready to rock out of the box. And it's probably more versatile. Dave's amps aren't cheap, but they're worth it. I've owned cheap tube amps (Peavey Classic 50, Egnater Tweaker 15 and Rebel 20, etc) and I've owned boutiques... you generally get what you (or the guy before you) paid for.

I would say though that the JCM2000 DSL 50 and 100 heads are a sweet spot in Marshall-flavored amps. I got my 50 for about $450 used and it was a great little amp... especially with my OCD slamming the dimed green channel. Was husky and roared like my 2203. No decent cleans there, but I didn't buy it for those. Another sweet spot is used Splawns. I paid $850 for my Quickrod halfstack and no other amp I've ever had has come close per dollar spent as that rig. Except the Tone King combo, that I bought for $700 used. Two best amp deals I've ever had. So yeah... you can get into boutique amps cheaply if you watch and wait. My music store buddy hooked me up with the TK, but I bought my Splawn 140 miles away from a store who didn't know me at all.
                      Heh. I know a thing or two about boutique amps man. I know that Splawns were super pricey and are now easy to buy and i know Riveras and VHTs and Bogners and Mesas and Oranges are in the same boat now. I bet in three to five years Friedmans are a lot more affordable because the boutique guys will be on the next cool brand, the vintage guys like me will be buying whatever is out of style, and the actual gigging musicians will be using their iPads and Line6s and Kempers like they already do. It's all tonez dudez
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Nice setup!
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                          Heh. I know a thing or two about boutique amps man. I know that Splawns were super pricey and are now easy to buy and i know Riveras and VHTs and Bogners and Mesas and Oranges are in the same boat now. I bet in three to five years Friedmans are a lot more affordable because the boutique guys will be on the next cool brand, the vintage guys like me will be buying whatever is out of style, and the actual gigging musicians will be using their iPads and Line6s and Kempers like they already do. It's all tonez dudez
                          I"ve been "actually gigging" since 1985. I gigged Marshalls in the late 80s. Itoured with racks in the 90s. I went back to heads/combos in the 2000s and now. I currently have a Helix LT that is the best digital rig I've ever had. But it's still not a pedal and tube amp the way it works in a live setting. It sounds like one, but it doesn't cut through the mix and compress like a tube amp running hard.

Anyways... of course Friedmans will become easier to get into as new things replace them. Not sure what your point was with that. Doesn't change anything regarding how great they are. Dave, George, and the boutique builders are building their amps with a quality of components that Marshall, Fender and Vox used to build them (and better), but the difference is that the new stuff is CONSISTENTLY good and consistently built. That cannot be said for the vintage amps, which were more like voodoo.

Comment

Working...
                          X