I love tubes, but can't get over how flexible modeling has become

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love tubes, but can't get over how flexible modeling has become

So I'm a complete tube snob when I can be- Studio always, bedroom always and live when I can.

But I've had multiple modeling rigs for years (Roland GT100 in the early 90s), because you can't always take everything with you, and in the mix, it's pretty impossible to tell the difference (if you don't believe me, the next time you're tubeing with a great FOH engineer, get him to solo your track- to get guitar sitting in the mix, they usually have to thin out most of the tube thickness).

Anyway, I got creative (read lazy) recently when I didn't want to take pedals and tube out for a little gig, so I combined my Boss GT10 with a Fender Mustang and my mind was blown...

I had planned to use the GT for FX only, but started with a complex patch that fades from a blackface to a plexi with all the beautiful in between tones-

It turns out that as I drove the GT10 from clean to crunch, it 'naturally' overloaded the blackface model in the Mustang and I had an entirely new pallet of in between sounds to play with! And when I switched over to my Mustang's hyper crunch setting (SuperSonic model), it did the same thing- lots more chewy harmonic goodness...

In retrospect, it makes sense, the Mustang is a smart enough model to respond to input gain changes, but I had always imagined that modle + model wasn't necessarily good.

In retrospect, in the studio we stack up modeled plug ins by the dozen and that works great, so clearly the old dog wasn't getting the new trick.
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: I love tubes, but can't get over how flexible modeling has become

I’ve never had much luck with modelers.
    I’ve never tied the newest generation though, the axe Fx and kempers etc.
    I did have a GT10 but I just could never get what I wanted out of it.
    Glad you are able to make it work for you!

Comment

have tried: Mustang; Amplifi; CODE; GT-001...never got close...spent a week with a friends Fractal Axe-FX II and have ordered one...side by side with my PRRI it was near impossible to tell the difference...going thru a few cabs the Fractal sounded better in some cases...wouldn't recommend a buy to anyone else at this point...after spending six months with it may be able to give thumbs up or down...

Comment

I never could get on with the Mustang I had, and sold it. I couldn't get a Line 6 amp to sound right, either. However, I love the Peavey VIP series, and the Fractal..and the new HX effects is sounding really good.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This phase will pass.
          Tried a modeler and tried a multi-effect pedal modeler. The amp modeler was just OK, but the pedal....not.
          The amp modeler (a Vypyr) is gone, and the digitech RP355 has been collecting dust for a couple of years. JMO

Comment

For lower apartment-level volume my cheap GarageBand/PA rig sounds better than 'holding back' on any amp.
            Originally posted by King Buzzo
            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Modelers are meh. This is why my Kemper is the only thing that sounds as good as my amps.
              Guitars: 2010 Fender Am./Mex. Stratocaster - Duncan Alnico II Pro (N,M) - Duncan SSL-6 (Bridge)
              1980 Gibson LP Std. - Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary humbuckers.
              1990 Fender Am. Std. Tele - Duncan Quarter Pounders
              Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Wild Card - Duncan Classic Stack (N,M) - DiMarzio Mo'Joe (Bridge)
              1982 B.C. Rich Mockingbird Supreme - : Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary(N), Duncan Custom(B)
              Amps: Mesa Mark V, Rivera Fandango, Marshall 1965 JTM-45, Modded Valve Juniors

Comment

EEh, my Fractal does the modeling thing really well. It is a far cry from most Line 6 and Digitech boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by orangecountycarl View Post
                  Modelers are meh. This is why my Kemper is the only thing that sounds as good as my amps.
                  OK, I thought Fractal and Kemper were the kings of modeling., so what am I missing?
                  What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

i think they are great but they dont feel the same as a good tube amp, and since i already have a collection of great tube amps ill keep using em.

Comment

Just upgraded from a GT-100 to a GT-1000, mostly because I got a great deal through Prymaxe. The difference in tone and feel is amazing, can't compare it to the Helix, Headrush, or Fractal, but it sounds great and I could tell a big difference through the PA and in my in-ears yesterday.

Comparing the old GTs and RPs to today's modeling in like comparing this:

To this:

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        i think they are great but they dont feel the same as a good tube amp, and since i already have a collection of great tube amps ill keep using em.
                        I was going to ask about that.
                        I’ve never played a Kemper or Axe Fx. There is a local AC/DC cover band that uses them and they sound great. But I’ve often wondered if they have the same feel.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Just upgraded from a GT-100 to a GT-1000, mostly because I got a great deal through Prymaxe. The difference in tone and feel is amazing, can't compare it to the Helix, Headrush, or Fractal, but it sounds great and I could tell a big difference through the PA and in my in-ears yesterday.

Comparing the old GTs and RPs to today's modeling in like comparing this:

To this:

Well, I greatly prefer the first pictures example...
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Not sure I follow, but yes, the tone was much better on the original suitcase cell phones.

Comment

Yeah, the 'feel' is different. Not worse, just different. I understand hanging on to tube amps- I love mine. But my back doesn't at the end of the night, and I can't get the same range of tones.

Comment

Working...
                              X