Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blackstar HT-5 For Van Halen?

Originally posted by RedDeansNRice View Post
    Did you play that? Is that a Blackstar HT-5 combo? What pickups and guitar do you use?
    Yes, that is me playing that. And after listening to it, because it's been so many years ago, it's taken me a bit to think about what I would have been playing at that time. Securb is correct in thinking that it could have been one of my Charvels with some Blackout pickups in it, but after listening to it, I never used any Floyd Rose. So, if I had to give a good guess upon what I was playing on this, I'm pretty sure I was playing an Epiphone Les Paul with a Custom Custom in the bridge. The only other guess that I would have been playing would have been my Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus with a Duncan Custom in the bridge, but I don't really ever remember playing that guitar through my HT-5's. So, I'm about 95% sure that is my Blue Sparkle Epiphone Les Paul with a Custom Custom in the bridge, and a Pearly Gates in the neck. Also, I was using my TC Electronic for delay, and my MXR Zakk Wylde for chorus.

Comment

^^
      The man, the myth, the memory!
      Glad to see you still posting around here.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello Jolly. After reading the link that Securb replied I set my knobs like this. It sounds like a snake is hissing through the speakers even when I'm not playing. Am I wrong?

Is morph the same as presence? There is also a switch on the back that shows 0.1W-1W-5W Power Attenuator. Which do I use? There is also a button for Emulated Output & Headphones. My speaker cabinet has two twelve inch speakers but the switch has 1x12 and 4x12 next to it.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
        Last edited by RedDeansNRice; 07-30-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I have to ask are you using a true speaker cable from the head to the cab or are you using a guitar cable? Listen to the head through the headphone jack and see if the hiss is still there.

Comment

Yes, it is a speaker cable. After reading more on the forum I have figured out that the gain was too high. Once it turned down down to below 3-4 o'clock the hiss stops completely. It's like there is a fine little line to when it is not doing to when it does do it. I have read that this is common in high gain amps.

When researching the HT5 and The G5, I found that the preamp tube is just a tube buffer. What does this mean? It is a 12ax7. Can this be changed for a different sound?

I have also found that the power attenuation sounds the best on 5w. It's a lot louder and the distortion sounds thicker higher volumes. The morph knobs also makes the sound clear and brighter when in USA, and gets deeper and thicker when in UK. Is this normal?

For my first tube amp, it is great. I like it a lot. Today I am going to unscrew the back of my speaker cabinet to find out what is inside. My reading has found that speakers make a big difference in sound. When I bought the cabinet I was told it was homemade by someone and he didn't know what speakers were in it. All he said was that is sounded really good and he used it more than any other in the store. I will post pictures when I am done.

Comment

Is this a good speaker cabinet? Are the speakers good? I opened it last night to take pictures but had to go to bed right after. I have work today. Is this ok for a Blackstar HT5?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_051258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	5809201

Comment

Looks like an Avatar cab? Should be a great match for the HT5, those Swamp Things are great speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDeansNRice View Post
                  Yes, it is a speaker cable. After reading more on the forum I have figured out that the gain was too high. Once it turned down down to below 3-4 o'clock the hiss stops completely. It's like there is a fine little line to when it is not doing to when it does do it. I have read that this is common in high gain amps.

When researching the HT5 and The G5, I found that the preamp tube is just a tube buffer. What does this mean? It is a 12ax7. Can this be changed for a different sound?

I have also found that the power attenuation sounds the best on 5w. It's a lot louder and the distortion sounds thicker higher volumes. The morph knobs also makes the sound clear and brighter when in USA, and gets deeper and thicker when in UK. Is this normal?

For my first tube amp, it is great. I like it a lot. Today I am going to unscrew the back of my speaker cabinet to find out what is inside. My reading has found that speakers make a big difference in sound. When I bought the cabinet I was told it was homemade by someone and he didn't know what speakers were in it. All he said was that is sounded really good and he used it more than any other in the store. I will post pictures when I am done.

re: tube buffer and your 12ax7, I think this is accurate, looking at the schematic, it's over my head with the amount of FET and diode stuff going on but the distortion seems to be generated before the 12ax7, and the tone controls are after the 12ax7. That's what they mean by a buffer, the 12ax7 doesn't look at a glance like it's generating tone per se, more like there for a "tubey feel" but you may notice changes in tone by swapping.

Cool cabinet!

Comment

At the very least, those speakers have a great name. So they should sound great!
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I had an EVH 5150 III 50 watt, loved it but it was a o e thick pony that did that one trick extremely well. I traded it in towards a Mesa Mark V, but missed that that one trick shredding tone of the 5150 III.

So this weekend I got the MXR 5150 Overdrive...

Played through the clean channel, it has the tone of the heads, actually sounds better than the 5150 III amp, especially at lower volume levels(even better than the 15 watt EVH LBX lunchbox head) . It’s more articulate with better note separation on extreme gain settings, and the built in noise gate solve does a great job and solves the noise problem on the heads

I was pleasantly surprised. The Mesa 5 band eq helps too, so you may want to place an eq after it

Comment

If you look at the picture of inside my cabinet it shows both speakers are 16ohm. It has 2 wires from the input jack ran to one speaker, using 2 of the 4 connections on the speaker. Then it has wires from the second set of connections of that speaker that run to the other speaker.

Is this parallel wiring? And does that make my cabinet 8ohms?

If it were series, one wire would hit the positive of the first speaker, then another wire would go from the negative of that speaker to the positive of the next. One more wire would go from the negative of the second speaker back to the jack? This would be 32ohms, correct?

My cabinet is 8ohm Parallel?

Comment

Yes and yes

Comment

There are so many cool little practice amps now. I like the Blackstar.

Comment

FYI - I played one in my Sam Ash and was able to cop a VH tone pretty darn easy...
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X