No announcement yet.

MESA Dual Rec Mercury Mags OT upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MESA Dual Rec Mercury Mags OT upgrade.

I know tone is subjective but is there any point or merit to upgrading a Dual Rec Output Transformer with one from Mercury Magnetics ?

I had heard most Rectos are made with Transformers from Magnetic Components in Chicago.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-30-2018, 05:44 PM.

Re: MESA Dual Rec Mercury Mags OT upgrade.

If it were me and I was happy with the tone and performance of the amp, I’d leave it alone.
    If/when you have a problem then sure, I’d put the best I could afford in there.

Comment

I dunno how their MESA replacement OTs are, but I slapped an O-45JT replacement OT in my Marshall (15 years ago) and it's damn good.

Comment

Only if somehow you fry your OT.
        If you think something is lacking in the tone of an amp before you purchase it, then why buy it?
        If the Boogie doesn't do it for you stock, unless you can pick one up for a screaming deal with the plan for modding it with a net cost that is less than the original amp, why do it?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Only if somehow you fry your OT.
          If you think something is lacking in the tone of an amp before you purchase it, then why buy it?
          If the Boogie doesn't do it for you stock, unless you can pick one up for a screaming deal with the plan for modding it with a net cost that is less than the original amp, why do it?

It sounds fine. Im wondering if it can sound better ...havent you ever chased tone ?

THAT WAS A JOKE.

I can live with the amp just fine, this thread was an Inquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
            It sounds fine. Im wondering if it can sound better ...
            Don't throw out good in search of perfect.
            Unless you don't mind spending the money.
            But, your choice.

Comment

+1

Comment

Mesa never seemed like the company to skimp on components. I’d say the OT is appropriate for the amp.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Mesa transformers are known for being robust. If it ain't broke...

Spend your money on lessons.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Cool ...

Comment

i agree 100%. mercury makes great stuff but its pricey even if you have their volume discounts. mesa has always used quality stuff so unless its broke, i wouldnt do it

Comment

Depending on the year, Mesa used Schumacher for their transformers, which is about as good as it gets. Mag components ended up getting a lot of the old Schumacher employees after Schumacher sort of flopped sometime in the early mid 2000’s. I’m not sure what Mesa uses Now but if it’s mag components, it’s as good as quality as anywhere else. You will be able to tell who made it by the EIA coding on the transformer.

Unless you were using complete garbage before, or you opt for something with different enough specs, transformer upgrades are hardly ever night and day from like reputable companies.
                        Last edited by Joey Voltage; 07-31-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

The MESA OT is small compared to my Marshall JMP but it delivers the goods.

I saw that video chat with Dave Friedman & Mike Soldano. Dave claimed Randall Smith ripped off the SLO preamp circuit for the Rectifer series and that the Transformers were small & the Power section was under-powered.

I checked the schematics and he's right about the Rectifier/SLO preamps being virtually the same values.

But there's nothing "un-powered" about my amp its LOUD as Feck.

There's nothing wrong with my Dual Rec which is early to mid 2000's i believe.

MESA serial numbers dont narrow down to the day & month of Manufacture just a rough guess of the year.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-31-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I always thought Rectifier series OT's were a bit undersized, and I think what Soldano meant about being underpowered is that Dual Recs tend to run the output tubes relatively cold. Both aspects probably contribute to "the Recto sound" which is crushing and hard to argue with, though.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-31-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

6L6's run cold in my amp. I got EL-34's in there now biased @ 70%. I run it in the Bold/SS Rec modes and it finally came to life once i did that.
                              Friedman modified a JMP for me & im a big fan of his talent. His comments seemed to get the tone wheels in my head turning ... lol.

I think he was just knocking the amp to knock it.

Comment

Working...
                              X