banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gave my Mesa Rectifier 2x12s some more thump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gave my Mesa Rectifier 2x12s some more thump.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Mesa use 5/8" plywood for their Reco cabs. Don't know if they used thicker plywood in the past, but it's 5/8" now and has been for a while, AFAIK.

"They share the same 5/8" void-free birch ply as our Rectifier® cabinets to create the resonant signature and road-tough construction"

AFAIK, both Marshall and Mesa use the same plywood thickness. It's ENGL and Orange that use thicker plywood. However, it might be the same thickness, at least for the walls of the cab (not sure about the baffle), but I'm sure the plywood Mesa use (marine-grade) is stiffer/denser than the stuff Marshall uses.

The construction is also very different. If you open up a Marshall cab, it looks soooooo messy inside. Crooked screws, paint splatter, unintentionally slightly offset center block, etc. The also used MDF for the back pannel for a long time (it's plywood now, though, or at least mine is). A Mesa cab, on the other hand, is super tidy inside, and I'm sure that also contributes to the end sound of the cab.

MESA actually has/had some "science-y" cabs like the Thiele, semi opens, tuned, etc.

They may or may not be right with any given choice, but somebody at that company actually studied cab building and experimented.

Most other brands, surprisingly....didnt.

Marshall especially. Almost no bracing, cheap materials, very sloppy builds are typical for most of their products.
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        Besides being a great model-mix (c90/v30), just having the open-back and closed-back running together adds that extra "character" compared to just one or the other.
        Eggs-zactly!

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Mesa use 5/8" plywood for their Reco cabs. Don't know if they used thicker plywood in the past, but it's 5/8" now and has been for a while, AFAIK.

"They share the same 5/8" void-free birch ply as our Rectifier® cabinets to create the resonant signature and road-tough construction"

AFAIK, both Marshall and Mesa use the same plywood thickness. It's ENGL and Orange that use thicker plywood. However, it might be the same thickness, at least for the walls of the cab (not sure about the baffle), but I'm sure the plywood Mesa use (marine-grade) is stiffer/denser than the stuff Marshall uses.

The construction is also very different. If you open up a Marshall cab, it looks soooooo messy inside. Crooked screws, paint splatter, unintentionally slightly offset center block, etc. The also used MDF for the back pannel for a long time (it's plywood now, though, or at least mine is). A Mesa cab, on the other hand, is super tidy inside, and I'm sure that also contributes to the end sound of the cab.

Yeah, they do now. I've been trying to find it, but I read an interview with Randall Smith awhile back about why they quit treating the jute for their grille cloths. He also mentioned at the same time that they switched from 3/4 to 5/8 for the sides. I remember something about being an effort to make the cabs less mid focused.

And as a side note, I added one more touch today. I bought a cheap foam mattress topper and cut out a chunk to put on one if the rear baffles. And again, I A/Bd the two cabs. The foam cancelled enough of the reflection wave that it did add some clarity, so I went ahead and did the other one too. Taking them to my drummer's house tonight for practice.
          Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-04-2018, 12:29 PM.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
            Well, if I could find Blackbacks around for a halfway fair price, I'd have some. But the only time I've seen any for sale around here, the owner wanted a small fortune. But yeah, I do lust for Blackbacks.
            Where are you located in IA? I have a '78 Marshall 1982B cab loaded with original 30W Blackbacks that I'm planning to sell in the near future. If you'd be interested, PM me and maybe we can work out a place to meet since it's a bit impractical to ship. The cab's currently in storage near La Crosse, WI.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              Where are you located in IA? I have a '78 Marshall 1982B cab loaded with original 30W Blackbacks that I'm planning to sell in the near future. If you'd be interested, PM me and maybe we can work out a place to meet since it's a bit impractical to ship. The cab's currently in storage near La Crosse, WI.
              Really?! Sweet. I'll have to start saving my pennies. I'm kinda in the Southwest/South Central part of Iowa. PM inbound.
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                Really?! Sweet. I'll have to start saving my pennies. I'm kinda in the Southwest/South Central part of Iowa. PM inbound.
                I forgot to say in my PM that if money is a bit tight we can always work something out in a few months. I've barely played the cab in the last decade, so I'm not in any hurry to sell it or anything.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                X