Seymour Duncan 84-40 Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan 84-40 Users?

Just wondering on the reliability of the SD 84-40. I bought one on a whim because the price was right and it was made by Seymour Duncan. The owner had pulled the amp out of the old box and made head type box for it. So no speaker. When I got the amp, he said that the sound just died off and stopped working. I replaced the 12AX7 preamp tubes and it works great. I think the el84s need to be replaced (but have not done that). I run it through a 2X12 Jet City Cab w/ eminence speakers and the amp sounds really good! When I tried to do some research on it, there was not much out there.

I have heard that they are very fragile. I would love to take it to some gigs…but if they are that fragile, I will leave it at home. The amp sounds amazing and takes pedals great. The reverb does not do anything for me. But I have a better one that I run through the effects loop. I am going to make a new box for the amp. But I guess my questions, does anyone have a history with these amps? And how road worthy are they? Thanks

One thing to add to this...it might sound so good because I have never played an amp with el84s before. They should so good for such a small tube.
    Last edited by CrazeyDiamond67; 08-06-2018, 12:08 PM.

Re: Seymour Duncan 84-40 Users?

Congratulations! I remember when they came out and seriously considered getting one but never did. I was in a serious Fender amp habit at the time.
    "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Seymour Duncan made an amp?

Comment

Indeed they do. Saw one a little while back, I should have bought it.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Made or "made"/farmed out on a license?

Cause I know they "made" guitars, too...
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Fender amps are a easy habits to have!

Comment

I think SD actually made them. Some where made overseas. But there were a ones that were made in the US. They had an 84-50 and an 84-40 and they were combos. They also made the more popular (by my searches on the web) SD Convertible amp. I just cant find much on the 84-40. But mine sounds great. I really thing it is the el84s.

Comment

I have an 84-40 that I used for a while now, I too have read that they are fragile but I don't really see them as being any more fragile than any other amp I have played on. The most fragile thing on it as far as I can tell is maybe the push-pull pots for the bright and boost switches, or maybe if the tube sockets are loose. That all being said I love the amp and its got a really cool tone.
                sigpic
                Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                Dunlop Crybaby
                MXR Custom Comp
                GFS Twin Overdrive
                Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                Blackstar HT-DISTX
                Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Thanks! Mine sounds great! I agree about the knobs. I will deal with that when/if they break. I was more worried about the board messing up. I had read that.

Comment

Working...
                  X