banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Better Sounding Than A Plexi Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Better Sounding Than A Plexi Marshall?

Those of you who have played a real plexi or an amp that has a general plexi circuit...

Is there any amp out there that sounds better; new or old?

***change my mind***

Re: What Is Better Sounding Than A Plexi Marshall?

Nothing.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

TWO Plexi Marshalls.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        TWO Plexi Marshalls.
        I came here to say this. So thank you.

Comment

For most of what I play? Any amp with about 3 or 4 more pre-amp gain stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
            For most of what I play? Any amp with about 3 or 4 more pre-amp gain stages.
            Or maybe a Plexi with a little more dirt out front?
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              Or maybe a Plexi with a little more dirt out front?
              You could also chain the two plexis

Comment

Eh, when it comes to pedal platforms, I usually favor solid state amps. Just a TS-9 boost isn't quite enough gain to push a Plexi even into Slayer territory (that requires a 2203 + TS), and mixing a distortion pedal and an amp's distortion usually sounds worse than just using the pedal.

Comment

Laneys
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I've never played a "real" Plexi, but I've played several hand-wired metal panel Marshalls both 50W and 100W. I was even in a band briefly with a guy who had a 100W '73 metal panel and had ample opportunity to play through it at volume.

For what I play I honestly like my Marshall Jubilees (2555 & 2525H) better than a plexi.
                    Last edited by dystrust; 08-19-2018, 10:02 PM.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The Plexi is a formidable amp, but it depends on the genre, too. For me, I would choose my Mesa Mark III Coliseum head and 412 Half-Back cabs for the better clean tones, channel-switching, gain, onboard reverb, efx loop, graphic EQ, etc. The Plexi is a one-trick pony, though it is a very good trick. The Mark III is so much more.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Sunn model T, Orange OR120, Matamp GT120, Fender Bassman, Ampeg V4, Soldano SLO...
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                          Sunn model T, Orange OR120, Matamp GT120, Fender Bassman, Ampeg V4, Soldano SLO...
                          I'm surprised you'd bring the SLO up. On paper it doesn't sound like your cup of tea. Guess that's why you have a bit of a soft spot for Jet City as well?
                          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

They're the best amps for tight metal riffs. Maybe add Fryette to that list but i kinda just got into them recently and i don't have a favorite head yet.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I tried one today, '(59 Super Lead.) For raw rock 'n' roll, it's hard to imagine better. I was impressed.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X