Help me find a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a new amp

Hey everyone, currently using a Marshall Code 25, and it's kinda ****.

Not really sure what kind of amp to upgrade to though. I like the JCM800 or the Peavey 6505, but they're way out of my price range, besides, I only really need it to be loud enough to fill my bedroom.

I play a lot of metal, so I'll need something that can handle a lot of gain, and I don't really want a modelling amp or anything, as I've got all the pedals I'll need. I also don't want something that sounds really digital.

So what do you guys recommend?

Help me find a new amp

The JCM 800 is a great amp but you’ll need a pedal to push it to metal. On its own, it a classic rock-ish sound.
    I don’t have any experience with the Peavey but from what I gather it will do metal pretty easily.
    Both of those amps will be waaay loud.
    Iirc, peavey has a lower wattage 6505 too....no? I’m sure it’s cheaper.

What’s your price range?

Comment

Re: Help me find a new amp

Originally posted by KoSTheKing View Post
      Hey everyone, currently using a Marshall Code 25, and it's kinda ****.

Not really sure what kind of amp to upgrade to though. I like the JCM800 or the Peavey 6505, but they're way out of my price range, besides, I only really need it to be loud enough to fill my bedroom.

I play a lot of metal, so I'll need something that can handle a lot of gain, and I don't really want a modelling amp or anything, as I've got all the pedals I'll need. I also don't want something that sounds really digital.

So what do you guys recommend?
      As a fellow metal player from old school to modern styles I can wholeheartedly recommend the mighty Orange #4 Jim Root Terror head! Switchable between 7 and 15 watts, valve driven FX loop, 3 speaker outputs and the magic touch being the actual preamp section from Jim's beloved Rockerverb MKII 100! this amp is great with its four stages of gain so we'll never run out of gain and can still do amazing cleans, blues crunch and driven classic rock openness without breaking the bank. It will be 100 times better than what you currently have and you'll be pleased to own it for that

Comment

What's the budget? It's easier for us to suggest something if we have that info. You can buy an amp new, but the second-hand market usually get you good deals.
        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          Iirc, peavey has a lower wattage 6505 too....no? I’m sure it’s cheaper.

What’s your price range?
          I was thinking the same thing. I have never played the mini 6505 but I own the Peavey Classic 20. The C20 touches the realm of classic metal easily I know I can get as deep and dirty as I would like with a pedal. The Peavey minis are feature full, effects loop, 1, 10, 20 watts selector, 8 or 16 ohm selector and more. You might want to give the mini 6505 a look.

Get the guaranteed best price on Tube Guitar Amplifier Heads like the Peavey 6505 MH Micro 20W Tube Guitar Amp Head at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Comment

What’s your price range?
            Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
            What's the budget? It's easier for us to suggest something if we have that info. You can buy an amp new, but the second-hand market usually get you good deals.
            About $400-500.

Unfortunately the second hand market isn't too big where I live. However there is a Peavey Bandit, and a Randall RD1, but that's about it.

EDIT: Should add, that budget includes the cab, am I pushing it, or should I increase the budget if I want something decent?
            Last edited by KoSTheKing; 08-28-2018, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Look at the Bugera Infinium 5 head and a small cab
              Those sound awesome
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by KoSTheKing View Post
                About $400-500.

Unfortunately the second hand market isn't too big where I live. However there is a Peavey Bandit, and a Randall RD1, but that's about it.

EDIT: Should add, that budget includes the cab, am I pushing it, or should I increase the budget if I want something decent?
                Possibly. I think anything that will serve you well for the next several years or so is gonna run you a bit more.
                I’d definitely look at a used cab/speakers. I’d think you could get something very nice for a couple of hundred.
                The amp itself might be $500-ish for something good. You’ll have to shop around and see what’s out there.

Comment

Help me find a new amp

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Peavey 6505 Plus Metal Guitar Amp at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

I actually have this cabinet. It was the first ever 2x12 I bought. It has Bugera’s version of V30 speakers in it. The build quality is just ok but I’ve owned it for 10+ years and gigged it often. For the price it really does sound damn good.
                  So for just over $500 you’ve got yourself a respectable rig right here.

Comment

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232903259766

I actually have this cabinet. It was the first ever 2x12 I bought. It has Bugera’s version of V30 speakers in it. The build quality is just ok but I’ve owned it for 10+ years and gigged it often. For the price it really does sound damn good.
                    So for just over $500 you’ve got yourself a respectable rig right here.
                    Unfortunately those 2 won't ship to me, but I'll definitely keep my eye out for something on the used market. Thanks!

Comment

I'd say a Joyo Bantamp 20w might be your speed. A small hybrid head that can be found for just $150 new. The ones I've tried are decent takes on well known amps, such as the AC30, 5150, JCM 800, and others. Just pop out the single easy to access pre-amp tube and you can make them into great little machines.

They don't have very many controls on them, but you said you have a bunch of pedals, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Then you can spend the rest of your money on a decent used 2×12, or smaller, cab.
                      Last edited by Chistopher; 08-28-2018, 07:02 AM.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'm gonna save up a bit longer and get the Peavey 6505 20w.

Now just to find a cab.

Comment

For a cab , Thoman has some nice 2x12 with Celestion speakers for about $250 or less

For a small bedroom amp a single 12 probably works
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Blackstar HT5 or (5R)...bargain prices used for an excellent sounding amp....

Comment

Baby 6505 is a solid choice. 6505s, 5150s, and Rectifiers are all Soldano clones so maybe consider the Soldano-designed Jet City 20w amps. The two-channel does the highgain thing.

For even less money, i ****ing love the Orange Micro Dark. I can dial it in to sound like my 69 Bassman, my 90s Matamps, or a thrashy deathy 5150 kinda thing. Seriously underrated little amps.
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                              X